Due Process - What happens if I choose not to provide modifications?

If an instructor does not provide an accommodation which is reasonable and legitimate, the student has several options, both formal and informal. While Disability Services coordinators intervene the least between the student and the instructor, we also have an ethical obligation to inform students of their rights to due process under the law.

  • Disability Services coordinators clarify the student's rights in the situation at hand and coach them about how to best discuss the accommodations further with their instructor.
  • Disability Services Coordinator may contact the instructor to further clarify the issue and to ensure he or she understands the student's civil rights.
  • The student discusses the issue with the instructor.
  • The student may contact the Chair of the Department if a resolution is not possible or the instructor is unresponsive within a week.
  • The student may contact Dean of the College or School if the Chair is unable to resolve the matter.
  • The student may contact the Office of the Provost if the Dean is unable to resolve the matter.

The student may wish to file a formal, internal complaint with the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX. The EO/Title IX office will attempt to determine if discrimination on the basis of disability has occurred and to recommend a resolution.

The student always has the right to file formal complaints with either the Montana Human Rights Bureau or with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). This process takes longer before the situation is resolved, but carries with it greater threats to the University as a whole in the event of adverse findings.