Transition Guide for Parents: Table of Contents

Introduction: The Land of Oz

What is the differences between entitled to education and right to equal access to education?

What if my child was served under a 504 Plan instead of an IEP?

What is meant by "Reasonable Accommodation?"

What is meant by otherwise qualified?

Who will manage my son's or daughter's educational services?

My son or daughter doesn't want anything to do with Disability Service!

How do students advocate for themselves in order to ensure they receive appropriate accommodations?

I understand the philosophy now, but what is the process, or how does Disability Services work?

Why doesn't Disability Services provide a Learning Disability assessment?

How has my role as a parent changed?

My son or daughter had some subjects waived in high school- why aren't they automatically waived in college?

Why does my son or daughter need a label?

Is my child automatically registered with Disability Services if we sent their 504 Plan or IEP to Admissions?

What do you mean you cannot disclose any information to me about my son or daughter's services?


This information is directed primarily toward parents of students with disabilities. However, we hope that it is equally useful to high school teachers, counselors, and students themselves. It introduces some of the legal and philosophical changes that occur for students with disabilities upon graduation from high school and entrance into the University of Montana. 

This information was written by Dan Burke, a former Disability Services staff. Its purpose is to educate students with disabilities, faculty, staff, and the public about the University's civil rights policies and practices related to disability. Please note that the word 'accommodation' is used interchangeably with 'modification.'