Course substitution assistance

The University of Montana will not reduce academic standards. When the student petitions for a course substitution, Disability Services will verify the functional limitations of the disability and rate the severity of need for the substitution. Petitions for substitution are considered on the merits of individual circumstances. The Graduation Appeals Committee and other academic authorities grant such substitutions, not Disability Services, since such petitions are strictly academic questions.

Graduation Appeals Form (PDF) from Registrar's Office

Steps for students seeking a course substitution:

  • Discuss your interest in petitioning for a course substitution with your Disability Services coordinator in your early academic career.
  • Contact the Registrar’s Office’s Graduation Department at 406.243.2421 with questions (e.g., when does the Graduation Appeals committee meet?).
  • Work with your academic advisor to come up with a potential course (or courses) as a substitution to fulfill the requirements.
  • Request a letter from your Disability Services coordinator, which verifies the functional limitations and severity of the need for the substitution.
  • Compose your graduation appeal and have your appeal form signed by your academic advisor, departmental chair, and dean.
  • Submit the petition packets to the Graduation Department.

For questions regarding graduation appeals, contact Registrar's Office's Graduation Department at 406.243.2421 or 406.243.2422.