Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education

Gifted Education Banner Photo

The Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education is a graduate level certificate that develops expertise in gifted and talented education by providing the specialized skills necessary to effectively teach high ability students. The Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education program enhances an educator’s ability to create inclusive programs for gifted students, and coordinate programs and services at the district level. The University of Montana is the only university in Montana offering this certificate. Courses are taught by faculty with extensive knowledge and expertise in gifted education.

The Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education aligns with the National Gifted Education Standards for Teacher Preparation. These national standards were developed by the National Association for Gifted Children in collaboration with the Council for Exceptional Children. The Certificate is offered completely online and is open to teachers across the U.S. and around the world.

Program of Study - Online

  • EDU 561 Introduction to Gifted/Talented Education
  • EDU 562 Social and Emotional Development of Gifted and Talented Learners
  • EDU 563 Methods and Curriculum for the Gifted and Talented
  • EDU 564 Planning Programs for the Gifted and Talented

Graduate Admission

  1. Complete a Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education application with the Graduate School. A resume and letter of intent is required.
  2. Confirm a plan of study with Department of Teaching & Learning faculty.

Current UM Graduate Student Admission

Current M.Ed./M.A./Ed.D. students may pursue the Certificate with advisor consent.

Minimum Enrollment Requirements

Students must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Hold a government issued teaching license;
  • Be currently enrolled in an accredited teacher license program;
  • Be a non-licensed teacher with a minimum of three years full-time teaching experience in a government accredited school;
  • Seek Department approval.


Undergraduates have the option to enroll in EDU 461 (as an alternative to EDU 561) and EDU 462 (as an alternative to EDU 562) for elective credit; these two courses alone, however, will not lead to completion of the Certificate.

Contact Us

Jeb Puryear
Assistant Professor
Department of Teaching & Learning

Department of Teaching & Learning
2nd Floor - Teacher Education Services