Micro-Internships at UM
What is a micro-internship?
Micro-internships are short-term, professional assignments similar to those tasks to new hires or interns. Like traditional internships, micro-internships can take place any semester. Typically, they range from 5-40 hours of work and are one-week to one-month long. Micro-internships can occur on-site or remotely.
What workplaces offer micro-internships?
Micro-internships are offered by Fortune 100 companies to emerging start-ups in departments including sales, marketing, technology, HR, and finance.
Are micro-internships paid?
All micro-internships on Parker Dewey are paid; however, micro-internships offered through specific organizations/companies or other search platforms might not be paid.
Can I earn academic credit for a micro-internship?
Credit may be a possibility (1 credit = 45 hours of work). Please speak with your advisor or faculty mentor to determine where a micro-internship fits into your academic plan and whether you can earn credit.
Who is eligible for a micro-internship?
How do I apply for a micro-internship?
Schedule an appointment with one of our Career Coaches to review your micro-internship application materials!
Parker Dewey connects students to diverse companies and organizations across the US. Opportunities on Parker Dewey are PAID and positions are posted on a rolling basis.
- Sign up for a FREE “career launcher” account!
- You will receive a confirmation email from Parker Dewey to set up your full account, so provide a professional email address (e.g. your UM email address or professional gmail address).
- After you create an account, complete your profile.
- Search and apply for micro-internship opportunities.
- Your responses to questions on the applications are critical. Be specific!
Handshake is a recruiting platform used by schools across the US and is the official platform for UM students and alumni.
- Log in to Handshake using your NetID and password.
- Complete your profile, including the “Job Interests” section.
- Search for opportunities.
Local, national, and international companies often post internships and micro-internships on their sites. If you are interested in specific companies,bookmark and check their websites to review opportunities.
What are the benefits of completing a micro-internship?
- Gain relevant experience to include on your résumé
- Explore potential career paths
- Make money!
- Earn academic credit (potentially)
- Fit experience into limited time-frame (ideal for students with family, military, employment responsibilities)
- Establish a connection regardless of GPA or your network
- Showcase your talent and skills to prospective employers
- Build your professional network
- Evaluate companies to determine mutual fit