National Student Employment Week
The National Student Employment Association (NSEA) has declared the second full week of April each year be set aside to recognize the value of student employees.
This year's National Student Employment week will take place April 11-17. To show our gratitude, UM is offering several special deals and events around campus exclusively for student employees!
- Free group fitness classes: All week!
- Campus rec is offering any of their group fitness classes free to student employees! Students should simply tell the instructor where they are employed on campus, and they will get into the class for free! View the class schedule here.
- Free play in the UC Game Room: All week!
- Student employees can play free in the game room! Just show any proof of employment, such as a nametag or note from your supervisor.
- Student Employee Firepit Celebration: Tuesday, April 13 from 11am - 1pm
- On Tuesday, April 13, student employees can take a break and socialize at the firepits on the Oval between 11am and 1pm. Stop by and talk to the Mansfield Library for their Take A Break Tuesday, and enjoy being outside with your colleagues (social distancing and masks required., of course).
- Take a Break Tuesday: Tuesday, April 13 from 11am - 1pm
- Happening at the same time as the Firepit Celebration is Take a Break Tuesday with the Mansfield Library! Drop by the Oval to talk to the amazing people from Mansfield while enjoying some treats and music!
- Campus Dining Perks
- Join the Campus Dining Perks program and receive exclusive discounts every week through the end of the semester! Students can text "CAMPUSDININGPERKS" to 844-949-2456.
Student Employee of the Year
One deserving UM student employee will be honored as University of Montana's Student Employee of the Year. The winning student will receive a plaque, award, and a $500 scholarship.
We are no longer accepting nominations for 2021! Thank you to everyone who took the time to recognize their outstanding student employees. We look forward to announcing the winner!
2020 SEOTY Winner
Ashley Hilliard is the 2020 Student Employee of the Year!
Ashley is a Research Assistant at the Center for Children, Families, and Workforce Development. Read some highlights from her amazing nomination below:
Reliability: I know whatever Ashley is working on will be completed on time and to high standards. From my view, Ashley is committed to serving children and families in Montana and knows that the projects she works on go into the hands of state or local organizations to better support families.
Quality of Work: Ashley does not approach her job a merely a list of items to get done. But instead, she is driven by the desire to create resources to support families in Montana and always goes above and beyond.
Professionalism: Ashley is a core member of the Center team. She interacts with staff and other research assistants on projects and is very composed, professional, and articulate in meetings and public presentations. She brings an energy of enthusiasm, curiosity, and excitement to work.
Uniqueness of Contribution: She has a background in public health, has been an active member of local coalitions and initiatives in Missoula, and is a busy mother of four. Ashley is able to share her experiences of raising four children while in graduate school and working. She speaks up about the systemic challenges that she and her family face as they navigate this experience. She shares her lived experience and uses her voice to increase understanding of issues facing families in Montana. Not just at the Center, also in her work at the Food Bank and with the Missoula Zero to Five collaborative. Ashley is an active member of the Food Bank Board. She was a key stakeholder of the Food Bank before her board tenure that helped the Food Bank be one of the first organizations in Montana to ensure 50% of their board has lived experience with poverty. This is critical to ensure their board is helping to empower clients to be decision makers and create a more class-inclusive agency.