Incoming Students to UM

Step 1: Congrats on NSE Placement at University of Montana!

Complete your Placement Acceptance Form (PAF) with your home NSE Coordinator. Your home coordinator will mail a copy to the University of Montana.

Now that you are going to be a Grizzly, spend some time learning more about what it is like to live in Montana. Visit the Destination Missoula website and read the Welcome to Montana page created by one of our former students!

Step 2: Apply for UM Admission

Complete a Transfer Student Application

Pay the $30 registration fee and submit official transcripts from ALL colleges attended. If you took AP, IB or CLEP exams, also send those scores to:

UM Undergraduate Admissions

Lommasson Center 101

Missoula, Montana 59812.

Step 3: Complete UM's Immunization Form

Before you can register for classes or housing, complete and submit to Curry Health Center an Immunization Requirement Form. For questions, contact Curry Health Center: 406-243-2122.

Step 4: UM Student Email

Set up your UM student email by logging into, then selecting UMConnect Student Email.

If you do not know your NetID, you can look it up here.

Your password is the last 6 digits of your UM student ID number (begins with 790).

Step 5: Campus Housing

If living on campus, register for housing and pay the $225 housing deposit. Many NSE students choose to live off-campus in UM's Lewis & Clark furnished apartments. For questions, contact UM Housing at 406-243-2611

Step 6: Course Registration

After your application is complete, the NSE Coordinator will email you the name and contact information of your UM academic advisor. You will register with the credits (class standing) and courses you have completed.

Work with you home academic advisor to select courses to take while at UM. Review UM’s On-line Class ScheduleCourse Catalog, and Registration Timetable . Obtain your registration PIN from your UM academic advisor. 

While on exchange to UM, your maximum credit load will be 21 semester credits.

Step 7: Financial Aid

Plan A:  UM will charge you tuition/fees, room and board, and disperse your federal financial aid. Did you remember to add UM’s FAFSA Code (#002536) to your FAFSA?

Plan B:  Lucky you – you will get TWO bills! Your home campus will charge you tuition/fees and disperse your federal financial aid. If you live on campus, UM will charge you room and board.

Step 8: Arrival Information

Fly into Missoula International Airport (MSO) – a small airport of three gates, five miles from campus. To get to campus, use Uber/Lift, or rent a car at a rental car courtesy counter located next to baggage claim.

Campus housing move-in is the weekend before classes start. Early move-in is available at a small daily fee. For questions, call UM Housing at 406-243-2611.

To park on campus, you need a parking permit. Order, select parking and print a temporary permit through CyberBear. After you “finalize” your bill, your permit is mailed to your local CyberBear address. For questions, contact UM Parking: 406-243-6132.

Mountain Line city buses and UM UDash buses are FREE with your Griz card. You can also bring your bike! UM and Missoula are designated Gold-Level Bicycle Friendly, and Missoula is ranked in the Top 20 bicycling towns in the U.S.

Step 9: Orientation

Online and on-campus orientation is optional. For more information and/or to register visit the orientation page

Step 10: Keep in Touch

Share your Montana exchange experience with your friends, home campus, and on Facebook and Instagram. Keep your home campus academic advisor and NSE Coordinator updated via email.

Step 11: Order Official Transcript / Print Unofficial Copy

At the Registrar’s Office (Lommasson Center 201) or online, order an official UM transcript be sent to your home campus after final grades are posted. 

On CyberBear, print an unofficial transcript to take home with you. Click Student Services – Student Records – Academic Transcript, then select level and click Submit.

Step 12: Return home…or not!

Return Home:

Pay off your student account, say good-bye to new friends and your advisor, take photographs, enjoy a final Mo Burger and hike the “M” one last time.

Extend Exchange: 

Contact both your home and UM NSE Coordinators. Students are allowed 2 semesters of exchange at 1 school.

Become a GRIZ:

Contact both your home and UM NSE Coordinators, UM Enrollment Services, and  your UM academic advisor. Keep UM’s Code (002536) on your FAFSA.

Your admissions status will become “out-of-state” and you will pay out-of-state tuition. For more information, contact Admissions at 406-243-6266.