Student Employment FAQs

Student Employment gives students an opportunity to gain valuable work experience while pursuing a college degree as students typically work between 10-20 hours a week and employers work around class schedules.

What is work study?

Please visit the Financial Aid Office website for information regarding work study and eligibility.

Where do I find on campus work study and non-work study jobs?

Handshake is our comprehensive online database of employment opportunities, including both on and off campus and work study positions. Log in here with your NetID and password to start searching for jobs and internships.

Where do I pick up my paycheck for on campus employment?

The University of Montana pays all student employees on a semi-monthly basis and paychecks are available for pick up in the Human Resource Services - Emma B. Lommasson Center Room 252. Read more about Student Payroll here.

Are my work study funds paid directly to my tuition?

Unlike other types of financial aid, work-study earnings are not applied directly to your tuition and fees. Students who are awarded work-study receive the funds in a paycheck as they earn them, based on hours worked, just like a normal job. 

Do I have to pay any of my work study award back?

No, any funds left over from your work study award will return to the general fund, at no cost to you.

Why should I take advantage of my work study award?

Work study is a way for students to earn money to pay for school through part-time on (and sometimes off) campus jobs. These earnings are meant to help with the day to day expenses that students have. Work study awards are a benefit for both students and employers as the award compensates the employer for two thirds of the student employee's wage making students more employable. 

If I receive a work study award, can I choose to take a non-work study job instead?

Yes, you can apply for any on or off campus position and are not limited by your work study award.