Incoming Partner Students

A group of students at a griz game


We are excited that you are interested in studying at UM from one of our Partner Universities!

Your university must have a Partner Exchange Agreement with the University of Montana to study through this program. Find out if your university is one of our Partner Universities listed below.

Partner University exchange students must first apply through their home institution; students cannot apply directly to the University of Montana.

Please note: it is best that our office receive all communication from your home coordinators until you've been nominated. We are happy to assist with and coordinate any concerns through your home institution's international office!

Click through the tabs below to learn more about the specifics of your study abroad in Montana!

Important Partner Program Information

Please review the requirements tab on our program brochure.

 Incoming partner applicants must:

  • be nominated by one of the University of Montana's partner institutions
  • be nominated by our nomination deadline
  • meet the English Language Proficiency requirements, outlined on our program brochure
  • be able to provide Proof of Finances, outlined in our program brochure, in order to receive their DS-2019 student visa application

Prospective students can read more about our partner program on our brochure page here.


Please note that students will not be able to create an application until invited by our office to do so.


Students will receive the invitation from our office to complete an online application once we have received the appropriate nomination of the student from our partner's international office by our nomination deadline. If you need clarification, please contact us at: 


Once a student has access to the application, they will be able to access the online application through the program brochure's "Apply Now" button.


In order for the student's application to be considered, the student must complete all requires questionnaires and signature documents, as well as upload all required supporting documentation, by the application deadline. Refer to the program brochure for more specifics.

Click here to learn more about registration, the UM course catalog, class schedules, CyberBear, and English as a Second Language course recommendations.

Fall 2022

Please note that dates and costs are subject to change without notice. Any changes will be published here first.

The following might be subject to change depending on the conditions of the global pandemic. Read more about UM's coronavirus information here.

Fall 2022 semester
August 15 - 17 Early Arrival
August 18 - 20 International Student Orientation
Aug 25 - 26 New Student Orientation (domestic and international)
August 29 Autumn Semester Classes Begin
September 5 Labor Day – No Classes, Offices Closed
November 11 Veterans Day Observed – No Classes, Offices Closed
November 23 Student Travel Day – No Classes
November 24 - 25 Thanksgiving Break – No Classes, Offices Closed
December 9 Last Day of Regular Classes
December 12 - 16 Final Exams

Spring 2023

Please note that dates and costs are subject to change without notice. Any changes will be published here first.

The following might be subject to change depending on the conditions of the global pandemic. Read more about UM's coronavirus information here.

Spring 2023 semester
*(TBA) Early Arrival Housing Open


International Student Orientation
January 5 - 6 New Student Orientation (domestic and international)
January 9 Classes Begin
January 16 Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No Classes, Offices Closed
February 20 President's Day Holiday - No Classes, Offices Closed
March 13 - 17 Spring Break - No Classes
April 28 Last Day of Regular Classes
May 2 - 5 Final Exams

Estimated Costs

Estimated Costs
New Student Fee $150
Residence Halls + Meal Plan $5,649 - $6,690
Lewis & Clark Apartments $600/month
Early Arrival Housing $23/night

Textbooks and Supplies, Special Course Fees 

$500/semester, varies by class

UM Student Health Insurance

For current prices visit the Curry Health Center
Learn more here about accommodation options for studying abroad at the University of Montana.
All students taking 7 credits or more at the University of Montana must have or maintain major medical insurance coverage. As an incoming international student, you will be defaulted into paying for the student health insurance or show the necessary proof of your personal coverage that meet or exceeds the J-1 or F-1 student visa requirements. Please carefully read the guidelines outlined here for more information.

Students living on campus have the option to protect their belongins through GradGuard's exclusive student-endorsed renter's insurance program. For about $11 per month, you'll be able to receive protection for damaged or stolen property. Learn more here.

The Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) within the Global Engagement Office at the University of Montana prepares certificates or petitions for the Exchange Visitor J-1 visa and advises international scholars who need to change visa status, extend a visa, travel temporarily out of the United States or bring dependents to this country.

The ISS helps international students with the following:

  • Extension of stay
  • Leaving and reentering the U.S.
  • Maintaining or changing visa status
  • On-campus and off-campus employment and practical training at pre-and post-completion stages of study
  • Exchange visitor program for students and scholars
  • Social Security Card application
  • State and Federal income tax laws and tax treaties

Additionally, the office serves as a liaison to federal agencies dealing with international student and scholar concerns, such as the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, United States Informational Agency, and Internal Revenue Service.