Visas and Work


The Office of International Students and Scholars at the University of Montana prepares certificates or petitions for the Exchange Visitor J-1 visa and advises international scholars who need to change visa status, extend a visa, travel temporarily out of the United States or bring dependents to this country.

  • Extension of stay
  • Leaving and reentering the U.S.
  • Maintaining or changing visa status
  • On-campus and off-campus employment and practical training at pre-and post-completion stages of study
  • Exchange visitor program for students and scholars
  • Social Security Card application
  • State and Federal income tax laws and tax treaties

Additionally, the office serves as a liaison to federal agencies dealing with international student and scholar concerns, such as the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor, United States Informational Agency, and Internal Revenue Service.