ETDP Submission Process: Dissertations
1. Electronically Submit Defendable Draft of Dissertation
One week prior to your defense, electronically submit your thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format) to the Graduate School office. This submission is simply to check for formatting errors.
To submit your draft:
Email the document to email@example.com if it is small enough in size.
The Graduate School will review your document for formatting and e-mail you any revision notes.
2. Submit Final Electronic Version of Dissertation
Please name your document in the following format: Last Name_First Name_document type (Example: Doe_John_Thesis.pdf)
Your committee chair will submit your final thesis or professional paper (MS Word or PDF format), electronically to the Graduate School Office once your document has met all of the following criteria:
- Reviewed and approved for defense by the Graduate School.
- Successfully defended.
- Revisions made for your committee and the Graduate School.
To submit your draft:
Email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of this electronic document by your committee chair will certify that your document has been reviewed and approved as the final document by all members of your committee.
The Graduate School will use this electronic document to compare and approve the copy that the student submits to UMI/Proquest (See step 4 below). UMI/Proquest then transfers the Dissertations to The Mansfield Library.
3. Submit Final Items to the Graduate School
The following items are submitted to the Graduate School prior to the final graduation deadline. The Graduate School staff will obtain the Dean's signature on items where appropriate.
- Completion Document: The "Department" copy of your Graduation Application signed on the back by your chair or co-chairs under Final Degree Requirements. This form verifies the date you passed your defense, comprehensive exam and/or foreign language requirements, if applicable.
- Complete Doctoral Survey Form (Doctoral Students only)
Any course or research credit grade changes needed for degree. The Graduate School is responsible for changing thesis, dissertation or professional paper credit grades (599 or 699, only) to CR once your PDF is received.
4. Submit your Dissertation to UMI/ProQuest (Doctoral Students Only)
- Go to The University of Montana section of the UMI/ProQuest web site.
- Read the "Before you begin" section before you start your submission. In addition to what Proquest mentions you also need to have the following to complete your submission: A credit card to pay your archiving/optional copyright fee.
- Click "START YOUR SUBMISSION".
- Create your account.
- Log in and follow the steps to complete your submission.