Student Payroll FAQ

Compensation | Job Procedures | Hours
W-2 | Selective Service

When do I get paid?
The University of Montana pays all student employees on a semi-monthly basis.
See Student Pay Schedules

How do I sign up for direct deposit?
Direct deposit forms should be filled out and returned to Human Resource Services (HRS) in Lommasson 252.  All new direct deposit requests must go through a "pre-note process". Your account information is verified with the Federal Reserve system during your first payroll cycle to ensure all is in order prior to sending funds.  Therefore, the first payment you receive after signing up for a new direct deposit will be in the form of a check, available in the HRS office.  Funds may continue to deposit to an existing account, if requested, while a new account "pre-notes". 

When are checks deposited to my bank account?
The actual time of day the direct deposit appears in your account depends on the individual bank and their posting payroll practices.

What is the amount of my check?
You may view your payroll information on the CyberBear.

Can I get an advance on my paycheck?
Advance payments are not permitted under University policy.

If my paycheck is not received on the 1st or 15th, can I get an Interim Check?
Interim checks processed for those missing a payroll cycle must be requested by the hiring department.  Or, a missed payroll cycle can be processed with the next payroll cycle.

Can I get a copy of my Earnings Statement?
Yes. Earnings statements (payroll stubs) can be obtained on CyberBear.

What needs to be done to change a student's pay rate or index number on an existing job?
A Student Change of Status form is needed to make these types of changes to a current job and Hire Card. These forms are available at Student Payroll Services.


How can I find a job?
Openings for student positions can be found on the Career Services website. Career Services assistance and computers are located in the Emma B. Lommasson Center on the lower level of the building.  Job vacancy announcements from both on-campus and off-campus employers are listed.

What are the deadlines for student employee paperwork?
See: Student Pay Schedules

Who is authorized to sign timecards, hiring cards, interim check requests and change of status forms?
The Supervisor, the Director or the Department chair. Students are not authorized to sign these forms.

What is an I-9 and why do they keep coming back to me?
An I-9 form is a Federal form that provides the University of Montana with verification of a person's eligibility to work in the United States. Sections 1 and 2 of the form must be completed entirely before an employee may begin working. Section 1 is the employee's portion that includes their name, social security number, address, date of birth, citizenship status, signature, and date block. Section 2 is the employer's portion where the employer examines and records the information from appropriate documents (see back of I-9 form for list of appropriate documents). All areas regarding these sections must be completed. Only a permanent staff or faculty employee may verify and sign Section 2 of this form. Temporary and student employees are not authorized to complete this section. If any area is left blank or is incorrectly filled out, the hiring packet will be considered incomplete and will not be processed.

When does an employee need an entire Hiring Packet and when do they need just a Hire Card?
An entire Hiring Packet is needed when you are hiring a student that has never been employed by the University of Montana. If the student is a returning employee and has worked the previous summer or spring semester,an EPAF (Electronic Personnel Action Form) should be entered into Cyberbear.


What are the maximum number of hours a student employee can work per week?
Work-Study student employees cannot exceed 19 hours per week. Non-Work-Study student employees cannot exceed 29 hours per week. Foreign student employees can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to and including 40 hours per week during school breaks, including summer session, regardless of whether they are Non-Work-Study or Work-Study status.

What is considered overtime and are students eligible to receive it?
Overtime for student employees are any hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week. Work-Study students are not eligible for overtime. Any hours worked in excess of 40 by a Work-Study employee must be paid as Non-Work Study and is charged 100% to the employing department at a rate of time and one-half. (Refer to maximum number of hours students are eligible to work stated above.)

What needs to be done to change a student's pay rate or index number on an existing job?  A Student Change of Status Form is needed to make an index change for a graduate contract or to give a work study job a pay change.  An EPAF (Electronic Personnel Action Form) is entered in Cyberbear to make changes to index. pay, add a new job or terminate a non-work study position.


Can I get a copy of my W-2?
W-2 forms are available on CyberBear normally by the third week of January for the previous year. They are also mailed around that same time to your last known address as listed in CyberBear Should you require a duplicate copy of your W-2, there will be a $5.00 fee assessed.  Be sure to keep your mailing address current in CyberBear.


What happens if I don't register with the Selective Service?
If you are a male and have reached your 18th birthday, are under age 26, and have not registered, you must register. The Montana University System is prohibited from hiring you unless you are registered. You will be asked to fill out a Statement of Selective Service form certifying your registration status upon initial hire.