Student Consumer Information


A wide variety of institutional information is available including:

Additional institutional information is available through the Office of Institutional Research. If you are unable to find the information you need, please contact Pope Ashworth, Interim Director of Institutional Research, at (406) 243-5661. Paper copies of information will be furnished upon request.

Federal law requires that each institution provide a net price calculator so that students and prospective students have a means to estimate their net college costs after an estimate for financial aid is applied. Click here to access UM’s net price calculator.

You can learn about the types of aid available as well as applying for and receiving aid

Federal student loans are borrowed funds that must be repaid with interest. Failure to repay a loan can result in default. All institutions are required to publish their Cohort Default Rate, which is the percentage of a school’s federal student loan borrowers who enter repayment within the cohort fiscal year (denominator) and default (or met other specified condition) (numerator) within the cohort default period. Below is a chart of UM’s past three years' cohort default rate:

Fiscal Year




Default Rate




Number in Default




Number in Repayment




In addition, you can read about student’s rights and responsibilities in maintaining eligibility for student loans under federal law. For more information or to request information in writing, contact Emily Williamson, Director of Financial Aid at (406) 243-5373.

The University offers services and facilities for students with disabilities.  For more assistance, contact Amy Capolupo, Director of Disability Services for Students at (406) 243-2243.

The University offers career and job placement and testing services for students and alumni through the Experiential Learning & Career Success office.  For more assistance, contact Andrea Vernon, Executive Director at (406) 243-5159.

The University maintains strict policies against copyright infringement and illegal file sharing. For more information, please contact the Information Technology Office at (406) 243-4357 or email your questions to:

Consumer Information on the College Navigator Website

The U.S. Department of Education posts 26 items about each school on its College Navigator website including:

  • Student activities offered by the school
  • Services offered by the school for individuals with disabilities
  • Career and placement services offered to students during and after enrollment
  • Policies of the school related to transfer of credit from other schools

College Navigator information on the University of Montana is here.

College Navigator information on Missoula College is here.

Information on the demographic makeup of students at the University of Montana.

Longitudinal census enrollment and demographic information dashboard.

Each year, the University must make available certain information regarding completion and graduation rates of first-time, full-time certificate and bachelor degree-seeking students.

As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

two (2) immunizations for Rubella and

two (2) immunizations for Rubeola

You must submit your Medical Requirement Form (which will be mailed to you in your acceptance packet), as well as verifiable documentations of your immunizations. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.

Information about the University’s policies regarding drug and alcohol abuse can be found on the Vice Provost for Student Success website. For more information or to request a hard copy of these policies, contact the office of the Vice Provost for Student Success at (406) 243-5225.

The University's retention rate of degree-seeking, first-time, full-time undergraduate students as reported to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).  Gender and Minority breakdown here:  CSRDE RETENTION SURVEY

For more information, contact Pope Ashworth, Interim Director of Institutional Research, at (406) 243-5661.

Campus Security and Fire Safety Report

The annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available each year. For more information or to request a hard copy of the report, contact Chief Marty Ludemann, University of Montana Police Department, at (406) 243-2277.

Archived Annual Security and Fire Safety reports are available here.  Hard copies are available upon request from UMPD, 32 Campus Drive or by calling (406) 243-4196.

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act

The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) is intended to make prospective students aware of a school’s commitment to providing equitable athletic opportunities for its men and women students. Any coeducational school of higher education that participates in a Federal Student Aid program and has an intercollegiate athletic program must prepare an annual EADA report. The report contains participation rates, financial support, and other information on men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletics programs. Officially, it is The Report on Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support Data, but is more commonly referred to as the EADA Report. A paper copy of this report will be provided upon request by contacting Pope Ashworth, Interim Director of Institutional Research, (406) 243-5661.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as amended, and Montana law, set forth requirements designed to protect the privacy of student educational records. These laws govern access to records maintained by The Montana University System (MUS) and the release of information from those records. A notice to students that explains the rights of students with respect to records maintained by the University of Montana (UM)  is provided yearly via the UM Catalog, as well at the beginning of each semester via students’ official campus email addresses. It also outlines UM’s procedures adopted to comply with these legal requirements. Copies of these laws, including the Federal Regulations pursuant to FERPA, and this notice are available for persons to examine in the Registrar’s Office, Aber Hall Room 623, 32 Campus Drive, Missoula, MT 59812. To request a hard copy, please contact Maria Mangold, Registrar, at (406) 243-2412.

Your Vote, Your Voice

Students and employees may learn more about Montana voter information at .  Advance and late registration is available.  Be sure to exercise your right to vote!