Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Telephone services

Dialing instructions

All telephones on The University of Montana telephone system have a 243 prefix.

Important numbers:

  • Service desk: (406) 243-2211
  • Campus operator/directory assistance: on campus= 0; off campus = (406) 243-0211


To dial:

  • On campus : dial four digits, as shown in directory. (243 prefix not needed)
  • Locally : dial 9 + 7 digits
  • Local calls to Bozeman : dial 9 + 994 + 4 digits
  • Toll-free numbers : dial 8 + 1 + 800, 866, 877, 888 + 7 digits
    (700 and 900 numbers cannot be dialed from campus telephones.)

Faculty/Staff office phones

Directory Assistance

  • Campus: dial 0
  • Local information: dial 8 + 1411
  • In-state/out-of-state: dial 8 + 1 + area code + 555-1212
  • Off-campus directory assistance:

Note: Phones with local access only cannot dial directory assistance.

Network long distance

  • In-state/out-of-state: dial 8 + 1 + area code + 7 digit number
  • International: dial 8 + 011 + country code + city code + number (Class 04 phones only)
  • Other long distance calls: follow the instructions on the back of the calling card or prepaid card.

Note: There is no third number billing from campus.

Residence Life phones

Prepaid cards are available at Griz Central, The Source (UC atrium), and dorm desks.

  • Long distance calls: Follow the instructions on the back of the prepaid card or calling card.
  • Dorm repair service: Report to Dorm Desk.

Use of The University of Montana-Missoula telephone system

The University of Montana-Missoula provides telephone services to its faculty and staff for official University business, to students living in University-provided housing for their personal use, and to all University students and the general public as a courtesy while using University facilities. Use of the University's telephone system must be in accordance with all policies governing the use of University facilities, the UM-Missoula Student Conduct Code, Montana University System policies, and state and federal law.

University employees may make limited use of University-provided telephones for essential personal business as long as such calls are not excessive and do not interfere with official University business. Examples of essential personal business include calls to family members (e.g., "latch-key" children), teachers, doctors, day-care centers, or babysitters to inform them of unexpected schedule changes.

In accordance with University and state policy, University employees who make personal long-distance calls MUST either call collect, or charge the call to a (non-University) third party telephone number, calling card or Pre-paid card. Employees may not make personal long-distance calls using State of Montana Telephone Network facilities, even if the University is subsequently reimbursed.

  • Social Sciences 126
  • IT Office: 406.243.5350
  • IT Central: 406.243-HELP
  • Send Email