Academic Support Program
Transformational, not remedial
The Academic Support Program (ASP) recognizes that law students come here with diverse cultural, educational, and professional backgrounds, and seeks to transform all UM law students into self-directed lifelong learners.
ASP seeks to make resources both accessible to all and optional, which will require students to take initiative and commit to improvement, an important step toward promoting student autonomy and thus students’ motivation to learn.
- Emphasize intrinsic motivation
- Encourage students to keep their first client in mind when learning all skills—this is their purpose
- Encourage students to approach learning intentionally to develop a mastery of the learning process, and so a mastery of legal analysis
- Encourage students to recognize the autonomy inherent in professional school and develop an individual approach that will help them reach their professional goals
- Promote exploration of new and varied teaching methods informed by learning styles, multiple intelligences, and innovations in adult learning theory
- Promote broad participation in skills instruction during students’ first year
- Promote deliberate development of stronger analytical skills