Community Giving Campaign

UM Employees Supporting Our Community Nonprofits

The annual Community Giving Campaign offers UM employees the opportunity to give back to the community by making donations to local charitable organizations through one-time gifts or payroll deductions. 

The 2021-22 Community Giving Campaign at UM is now open and will run through Friday, Dec. 10.

UM employees are invited to make contributions to agencies of their choosing through the online giving platform or via paper form by Dec. 10. To request a paper donation form, call 406-243-4878 or 406-243-2787.

Make an online pledge here

One-time contributions to agencies will be delivered to the nonprofits before Dec. 31. UM employees who opt for payroll deductions will see those reflected in their paystubs during the 2022 calendar year.

Agencies selected to participate in the campaign are evaluated closely to ensure financial responsibility and that donations go directly to local services. This year, 19 local nonprofits and one statewide nonprofit federation are participating in UM’s Community Giving Campaign.

The fundraising effort that became UM’s Community Giving Campaign began during the 1986-87 academic year when faculty and staff pledged $25,000. Since that first year of organized giving, UM employees have donated more than $2.5 million to local nonprofits through the campaign. Nearly 300 University of Montana employees participated in the 2020-21 Community Giving Campaign by donating nearly $97,000 to local charitable organizations.

2021-22 Participating Agencies:

Child Care Resources, Inc.
Partnership for Children
Garden City Harvest, Inc.
Missoula Aging Services
Missoula Food Bank & Community Center
Mountain Home Montana
The Poverello Center
United Way of Missoula County
Vital Ground Foundation
Youth Homes
Humane Society of Western Montana
Tamarack Grief Resource Center
Five Valleys Land Trust
Clark Fork Coalition
The Greater Missoula Family YMCA
The Flagship Program
Missoula Community Foundation
Montana Shares

Camp Mak-A-Dream
Disability Rights Montana
Friends of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
Great Falls Community Food Bank, Inc.
Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter
Jeannette Rankin Peace Resource Center
Lewis & Clark Humane Society
Montana Audubon
Montana Food Bank Network, Inc.
Montana History Foundation
Montana Legal Services Association
Montana Wilderness Association, Inc.
Montana Wildlife Federation
NeighborWorks Montana
Pride Foundation
Rural Employment Opportunities, Inc.

Frequently Asked Questions for UM Employees

Q: What is the Community Giving Campaign at UM?
A: It’s an annual opportunity for UM employees to give back to the community by donating to local nonprofit charities that serve the Missoula area and beyond.

Q: How do I contribute?
A: UM uses an online donation system called iPledge to reduce paper waste and provide more contribution options for participants. To make an online contribution, visit Online donors can donate by payroll deduction, credit card or e-check.

Q: When does the Community Giving Campaign take place?
A: The 2021-22 Community Giving Campaign at UM kicks off Monday, Nov. 8, 2021. The campaign will close Friday, Dec. 10, 2020. All employees who wish to participate in the campaign are asked to submit their online or paper-form contributions by Dec. 10.

Q: If I opt for payroll deductions, when do my donations come out of my paycheck?
A:If you opt for payroll deductions, those will come out of your paycheck during the 2022 calendar year.

Q: How do I set up an account using the online system?
A: Log on to The first time you visit, you will be asked to register.

  • Step 1: Select your office or department from the list provided. If you can’t find your department, call University Relations at 406-243-4878.
  • Step 2: Enter your full name and email, then select a user name and password. Once your account is created, you will reach the “Make a Pledge” page.
  • Step 3: Enter your employee ID number (your 790 number), then select your pledge type and the agencies to which you would like to make a donation.
  • Step 4: Once you have entered your donation amounts, click “Enter Pledge” at the bottom of the page. You’re done!

Q: What email address should I use when I register to donate through iPledge?
A: For security reasons, UM employees should register using their official or email address.

Q: What if I set up an account in the online system last year and don’t remember my username or password?
A: The iPledge system offers a username and/or password retrieval service for those who have forgotten this information. Click “login,” then follow the prompts to retrieve your information. Be sure to check your “junk mail” folder if you don’t receive your username/password within 10-15 minutes.

Q: What if I need help using the online donation system?
A: For help using the online system, call 406-243-4878.

Q: What if I want to donate using the paper form?
A: Paper pledge forms are available for those without computer access or who prefer the paper method. To obtain a paper pledge form, call 406-243-4878. Paper forms must be returned to Community Giving Campaign c/o UM Marketing, 202 Brantly Hall, by Friday, Dec. 10, 2021.

Q: Is there a fee for making an online contribution using a credit card or an e-check?
A: Contributions made via credit card and e-check are subject to a fee of approximately 3.6 percent that will be subtracted from the amount the nonprofit agency receives. There is no fee for payroll contributions.

Q: I don’t see my favorite agency on this list. Why aren’t they a part of the campaign this year?
A: All local nonprofit agencies are invited to apply for the CGC. Applications must be submitted each year, and some agencies opt not to apply. Others might apply but do not meet the CGC criteria. Others fail to meet the application deadlines. If you have a favorite agency that you would like to see included in the campaign, you can tell the nonprofit to find campaign guidelines and criteria on the Community Giving Campaign website.  

Q: What if I want to cancel or change my donation after I have submitted it?
A: To cancel or change your donation, call 406-243-4878.

Q: What if I have additional questions or need to request a disability-related accommodation?
A: Email Jordan Hess, 2021-22 campaign chair, at