Cybersecurity for High School Students
Introduction to Cybersecurity
Important Update - Introduction to Cybersecurity will begin on February 7, 2022
Introduction to Cybersecurity provides an unique opportunity for high school students to explore cybersecurity topics and opportunities for careers. Over 700 jobs in the State of Montana and 455,000 positions across the Nation are currently available in cybersecurity. This Early College course is available remotely for college credit (and in some high schools dual credit). Students completing the course will earn three (3) college credits through the University of Montana.
Students will develop a foundational understanding of cybersecurity and how it relates to information and network security. Introduction to Cybersecurity introduces students to cybercrime, security principles, technologies, and procedures to defend networks. The course is presented with interactive, multimedia content, lab activities using network simulators and virtual machines, and multi-industry case studies.
How to Enroll
The course is offered remotely through Missoula College to high school students across the State of Montana. It is slated to begin on Tuesday, January 18, 2022. Interested students should start by filling out and submitting the Application Creation information.
- Respond to the the first question Are you a Montana High School/Home School student seeking to earn college credit through the UM Dual Enrollment Program before you graduate High School? by selecting Yes. This will initiate an email.
- Open the email that was sent from the University of Montana (BeAGriz@umontana.edu) with your application login details.
- Create an application account password (record this password for later).
- Under Your Applications click on the Dual Enrollment Application.
- Complete all application sections.
- Under Application Information
- Under Course Selection enter the course title (ITS 191) and select Early College
- Under the Approvals selection add one approver for the Parent/Guardian Approval. Please let your approver know that they should expect an email from BeAGriz@umontana.edu.
- The final step is to Review and press Submit Application. If there are any errors this is where you will see them. You will need to fix those errors before you will be able to submit your application.
This Early College course is offered to high schools remotely across the State of Montana through Cyber Montana, an Accelerate Montana, and in partnership with Missoula College Dual Enrollment at the University of Montana.
Cyber Montana was created through an allocation provided by the 2021 Montana Legislature. Cyber Montana is dedicated to education & training, economic and workforce development, and community cyber awareness. Cyber Montana provides a wide variety of cyber credentials including credit & non-credit industry recognized certifications (IRC), high school dual enrollment, workforce training, internships & apprenticeships, certificates, associate degrees & bachelor degrees.