First-Year Pre-Orientation Checklist

These are the steps that new first-year students at UM's Mountain Campus or Missoula College should complete prior to New Student Orientation. Please view the Transfer Student page if you are not a first-time college student. You are considered a first-time student even if you completed college credits while in high school and should follow these steps.

Bear Tracks is your personalized checklist, and will help move you forward in the onboarding process toward academic advising and course registration.  Keep an eye on your Bear Tracks checklist, as new tasks may be added throughout the spring and summer.  Contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 406-243-6266 or with any questions or for assistance logging in.  

Access your Bear Tracks checklist here.

You will need to log into CyberBear before anything else, as this is where you will be asked to create your own password. Your NetID and password will be used to access your student email, Moodle, the course catalog, and much more.  All of these resources can be found in one central hub, so you may want to bookmark this page now!

  • Log into your CyberBear account, using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID Lookup Tool.
    • If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
    • After logging in for the first time you will be prompted to create your own password. You only need to do this one time.
  • If you experience NetID login challenges please contact the IT Central Help Desk at 406-243-4357 (or 406-243-HELP) Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST.

Log into your UMConnect Student Email account and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, notices from the President and UM administration.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will use the same NetID and password that you use to access CyberBear and the other resources found at 

Before you can register for classes you need to verify that there are no holds on your student account. To check your hold status:

  • Log into your CyberBear account
  • Next, click on the top link that says "Student Services"
  • double check the correct term is selected in the far left corner, 
  • and then click "Holds" on the far right.

Curry Health Center Hold

The most common student account hold is a Health Hold. As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

  • Two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
  • Two (2) immunizations for Rubeola

You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations, which should be done online via the UM Health Portal. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.

UM Housing Hold

All incoming freshmen automatically have a housing hold placed on their University account until one of the following requirements are completed:

To avoid any delays, freshmen should complete one of the above steps as soon as possible.

Visit myHousingPortal to complete your housing contract and select your room preferences. You also can request to be part of a Living Learning Community here. 

You will also select your meal plan on the housing application. Visit the UM Dining website for meal plan details. 

If you haven't had the chance to see any of our Residence Halls in person, check out these virtual tours to learn about your options.

The University of Montana requires all students (registered for six or more state-supported on-campus credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. 

Non-government issued private medical insurance plans vary. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the health coverage plan you are currently under covers you for all the medical services you may need while you are attending classes at the University of Montana. You can do this by contacting your current health insurance carrier.

If you find you have inadequate insurance coverage, or you are uninsured, there are resources to help you obtain health coverage while you are a student at the University of Montana. Accept the student insurance plan during registration and contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844 for more information.

UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield and has resources for other coverage options as well.

NOTE: Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.

Due to challenges related to COVID-19, registration for students has been delayed until March 22, 2021 and as such students are not able to make their health insurance selection until that date.  After March 22, you can follow these instructions to make your health insurance selection.

Please log into your CyberBear account and follow these steps to make your insurance selection:

  • Log in to Cyberbear.
  • Select "Student Services."
  • Select "Registration" from the left-hand navigation.
  • Select the appropriate term.
  • Make your Health Insurance selection.
  • Confirm your Health Insurance selection.

For more information, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844, or visit the insurance section of the Curry Health Center website.

All incoming students are required to complete New Student Orientation. Orientation provides all the information you need to successfully transition to campus.

More information and links to sign up can be found on the New Student Orientation website.

Get ready to smile! Head to the Griz Card Photo Submission Page to upload a photo for your UM student ID. New students should submit their photo before attending an orientation program. If you submit your photo in advance, we will have your ID card ready for you to pick up at Residence Hall check-in. You will need a government-issued photo ID to pick up your Griz Card. The $15 fee for your card will be applied to your first-semester bill in CyberBear.