First-Year Pre-Orientation Checklist
These are the steps that new first-year students at UM's Mountain Campus or Missoula College should complete prior to New Student Orientation. Please view the Transfer Student page if you are not a first-time college student. You are considered a first-time student even if you completed college credits while in high school and should follow these steps.
1. Complete Online Bear Tracks
All first-year students are required to complete Bear Tracks prior to their entering term. During Bear Tracks you register for your fall courses, set up your student email account, submit a photo for your student ID and more!
Students must be admitted to UM prior to completing Bear Tracks.
More information can be found on Bear Tracks page.
2. Sign up for New Student Orientation
All first-year students are required to attend New Student Orientation. Orientation provides all the information you need to successfully transition to campus.
More information and links to sign up can be found on the New Student Orientation website.
3. Log Into CyberBear
Log in to CyberBear to create your own password and access all areas within http://my.umt.edu such as your student email, Moodle, the course catalog and much more.
- Log into your CyberBear account using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID Lookup Tool.
- If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
- After logging in for the first time, you will be prompted to create your own password. You only need to do this one time.
- If you experience NetID login problems, please contact the IT Central Help Desk at 406-243-HELP (x4357) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
4. Activate Your UMConnect Email Account
Log into your UMConnect Student Email account and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University, including information about registration, tuition and fees, urgent announcements, notices from the president and more.
To log into your UMConnect account, you will use the same NetID and password that you use to access Cyberbear.
If you prefer to forward this email to your personal account, you can learn How to Forward Your UMConnect Email here.
5. Clear Your Holds
Before you can register for classes you need to verify there are no holds on your student account. To check your hold status:
- Log into your CyberBear account.
- Next, select the link at the top that says "Student Services," followed by "Student Records" and then "View Holds."
The most common student account hold is a Health Hold. As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:
- Two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
- Two (2) immunizations for Rubeola
You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations. You can submit immunization information online. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call 406-243-2122.
All incoming freshmen automatically have a housing hold placed on their University account until one of the following requirements are completed:
- A housing application is submitted for the Residence Halls.
- A release from the Freshman Residency Requirement has been submitted and approved.
To avoid any delays, freshmen should complete one of the above steps as soon as possible.
Visit myHousingPortal to complete your housing contract and select your room preferences. You also can request to be part of a Living Learning Community here.
You will also select your meal plan on the housing application. Visit the UM Dining website for meal plan details.
If you haven't had the chance to see any of our Residence Halls in person, check out these virtual tours to learn about your options.
6. Buy or Decline Health Insurance
Non-government issued private medical insurance plans vary. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the health coverage plan you are currently under covers you for all the medical services you may need while you are attending classes at the University of Montana. You can do this by contacting your current health insurance carrier.
If you find you have inadequate insurance coverage, or you are uninsured, there are resources to help you obtain health coverage while you are a student at the University of Montana. Accept the student insurance plan during registration and contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844 for more information.
UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield and has resources for other coverage options as well.
NOTE: Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.
Please log into your CyberBear account and follow these steps to make your insurance selection:
- Log in to Cyberbear.
- Select "Student Services."
- Select "Registration" from the left-hand navigation.
- Select the appropriate term.
- Make your Health Insurance selection.
- Confirm your Health Insurance selection.
When making your selection, please be sure to read the screens completely. There is a specific state requirement if you are receiving Montana Medicaid/HELP/Healthy Montana Kids PLUS. Failure to comply with the requirement could result in the loss of your state medical coverage.
7. Griz Card Online Photo Submission
Get ready to smile! Head to the Griz Card Photo Submission Page to upload a photo for your UM student ID. New students should submit their photo before attending an orientation program. If you submit your photo in advance, we will have your ID card ready for you to pick up at Residence Hall check-in. You will need a government-issued photo ID to pick up your Griz Card. The $15 fee for your card will be applied to your first-semester bill in CyberBear.