Pre-Orientation Checklist

This checklist is for all Transfer Students. Please view the First-Year page if you fit that criteria.

All transfer students are required to complete Online Bear Tracks prior to New Student Orientation. During Bear Tracks, you will begin to learn about campus resources and services,  set up your student email account, submit a photo for your student ID, connect with your academic advisor to review your first semester course schedule, and more!

Students must be admitted to UM prior to completing Bear Tracks.  More information can be found on the Bear Tracks page.

You will need to log into CyberBear before anything else, as this is where you will be asked to create your own password. Your NetID and password will be used to access your student email, Moodle, the course catalog, and much more.  All of these resources can be found in one central hub, so you may want to bookmark this page now!

  • Log into your CyberBear account, using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID Lookup Tool.
    • If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
    • After logging in for the first time you will be prompted to create your own password. You only need to do this one time.
  • If you experience NetID login challenges please contact the IT Central Help Desk at 406-243-4357 (or 406-243-HELP) Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST.

Log into your UMConnect Student Email account and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, notices from the President and UM administration.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will use the same NetID and password that you use to access CyberBear and the other resources found at 

Before you can register for classes you need to verify that there are no holds on your student account. To check your hold status:

  • Log into your CyberBear account
  • Next, click on the top link that says "Student Services"
  • double check the correct term is selected in the far left corner, 
  • and then click "Holds" on the far right.

Curry Health Center Hold

The most common student account hold is a Health Hold. As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

  • Two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
  • Two (2) immunizations for Rubeola

You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations, which should be done online via the UM Health Portal. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.

UM Housing Hold

Any student with less than 30 credits and without dependents is required to live in the Residence Halls.  Housing is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, which means transfer students considering living on campus should apply sooner than later.

There are two off-campus communities for students who already have some college credit.  The Lewis and Clark Villages are more apartment style housing, and the University Villages are aimed more at students with partners and/or children as well as graduate students.

Visit myHousingPortal to complete your housing contract and select your room preferences. You can also request to be part of a Living Learning Community here. 

You will also select your preferred meal plan on the housing application.  Visit the UM Dining website for details on your options. 

The University of Montana requires all students (registered for six or more state-supported on-campus credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. 

Non-government issued private medical insurance plans vary. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the health coverage plan you are currently under covers you for all the medical services you may need while you are attending classes at the University of Montana. You can do this by contacting your current health insurance carrier.

If you find you have inadequate insurance coverage, or you are uninsured, there are resources to help you obtain health coverage while you are a student at the University of Montana. Accept the student insurance plan during registration and contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844 for more information.

UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield and has resources for other coverage options as well.

NOTE: Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.

Due to challenges related to COVID-19, registration for students has been delayed until March 22, 2021 and as such students are not able to make their health insurance selection until that date.  After March 22, you can follow these instructions to make your health insurance selection.

Please log into your CyberBear account and follow these steps to make your insurance selection:

  • Log in to Cyberbear.
  • Select "Student Services."
  • Select "Registration" from the left-hand navigation.
  • Select the appropriate term.
  • Make your Health Insurance selection.
  • Confirm your Health Insurance selection.

For more information, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844, or visit the insurance section of the Curry Health Center website.

Get ready to smile! Head to the Griz Card Photo Submission Page to upload a photo for your UM Student ID. New students should submit their photo before attending an orientation program so you can skip the hassle of waiting in line. If you submit your photo in advance we will have your ID card ready for you to pick up at check-in. You will need a government issued photo ID to pick up your Griz Card. The $15 fee for your card will be applied to your first semester bill in CyberBear.

Transfer students are welcome to attend optional on-campus orientation events once they have completed their Online Bear Tracks.