UM uses ACT and SAT scores to determine students’ placement into math courses for the indicated major. If students don’t meet the minimum ACT or SAT scores required to place into college-level courses (courses 100-level or higher), they must take the appropriate Maplesoft math placement exam.
The minimum ACT mathematics section score required to place into college level math courses for the above majors is 22. The minimum SAT mathematics section score is 520 for students who took the SAT prior to March, 2016. For students who took the SAT after March, 2016, the minimum SAT mathematics section score is 550. The minimum SAT math test score is 27.5. For students in the above majors who bring in any of these minimum scores or higher, the Maplesoft math placement exam requirement is waived.
The Maplesoft math placement exam requirement will also be waived for students in the above majors if one of the following conditions is met:
- By earning a score of 3 or above on the AP Calculus AB or BC exam
- By earning a score of 4 or above on the IB Mathematics HL exam
- By earning a score of 50 or above on the CLEP subject examinations in College Algebra, College Algebra-Trigonometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus or Calculus
- By successfully completing a college-level math course while enrolled in either a high school dual enrollment program, a high school pilot program, or while enrolled at another college or university prior to a student’s transfer to UM.
Information to Know
- Mailing address: Undergraduate Evaluations, Lommasson 101, Missoula MT, 59812
- Email address: email@example.com – or you can use firstname.lastname@example.org for test score/transfer-credit specific questions
- Fax number: 406.243.4711 – please alert the Admissions Office when you send a fax so they know to expect one
- UM’s ACT code is 2422 and SAT is 4489
- Sending scores:
- ACT: https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/scores/sending-your-scores.html
- SAT: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/scores/sending-scores/how-to-send
- AP: https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/sending-scores
- IB: https://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/assessment-and-exams/requesting-transcripts/
- CLEP: https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-college-credit/your-score