Faculty-led Study Abroad Programs
As a result of the Internationalization Laboratory, and effective June 2016, a new policy has been created in an effort to streamline services to students and faculty wishing to participate in and lead faculty-directed study abroad programs. Due to recent changes in staff restructuring, Education Abroad (formerly Study Abroad) will now provide centralized support for these programs, alleviating faculty and departmental workload and responsibilities.
Faculty members wishing to lead new and already established faculty-directed study abroad programs should proceed as follows:
- Choose one of the following three structures:
- State-support program*: Students register and pay for UM state-support credits. A study abroad fee is attached to the course and is collected by Business Services for all non-instructional expenses. Faculty are paid as part of their normal FTE using general funds.
- Sponsored program: Students register and pay for School of Extended & Lifelong Learning (SELL) credits and pay a program fee to SELL or the external sponsoring organization. Faculty are paid by an external sponsoring organization.
- Hybrid Self- and State-support program*: Students register and pay for UM state-support credits. A study abroad fee is attached to the course that includes instructional and non-instructional costs and is collected by Business Services. Faculty are paid using funds from this study abroad fee. Summer programs register in spring semester with an expectation that students receive preparatory instruction.
- Submit a proposal to your chair/director, dean and Marja Unkuri-Chaudhry, Director of Education Abroad.
- Meet with Education Abroad staff to prepare for the logistics of your trip.
- Provide an orientation for all students participating in your program. Education Abroad can provide support for this.
* Special arrangements can be made through SELL for non-UM students wishing to participate in these programs.
If you have questions about these new models for faculty-led study abroad programs, please contact Marja Unkuri-Chaudhry, Director of Education Abroad, at x2296.