Who is exempt from evaluation?
Faculty members described below can request exemption from evaluation:
For 2021-22, the following faculty members can request exemption from evaluation if they seek a normal increase, have not received a less-than-normal evaluation in the last three (3) years and for whom the FEC, Department Chair/Director, Dean or Provost do not wish to initiate consideration for anything other than a normal recommendation.
- Tenured Full Professors with surnames beginning with I-Z
- Tenured Associate Professors with surnames beginning with M-Z
- Tenured Full or Associate Professors on sabbatical or leave without pay*
- Faculty members using Faculty Modified Duties who requested deferral of performance evaluation
* If the faculty member is not physically present to complete and submit the exemption form, the Department Chair/Director may sign and submit an exemption form instead.
The faculty members listed below are also exempt from evaluation:
- Assistant Professors (tenure-track; probationary) in their first year at UM
- Nontenurable faculty employed at over 0.5 FTE for only one semester
- Nontenurable faculty employed at less than 0.5 FTE for less than two consecutive semesters (excluding summer)
- Faculty on terminal year contracts