Academic Forgiveness Policy
Academic Forgiveness allows a student who has met specific criteria to select a prior semester or semesters they wish to have excluded from calculation in the cumulative GPA. The semester(s) chosen must have occurred prior to the student's return to the university.
Other options exist for students who have not left the university such as course repeats, withdrawals, and other mechanisms listed under academic policies in the catalog.
- A University of Montana – Missoula or Missoula College undergraduate, seeking their first undergraduate degree, who returns to the university after a minimum absence of three years and completes 30 credits of academic study with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 is eligible for Academic Forgiveness.
- Receiving Academic Forgiveness for a semester or semesters results in all credits and grades earned in the semester to be excluded from the student’s GPA calculation. A student will not be allowed to select specific grades and credits to retain while excluding others earned within the same semester. The excluded courses and grades will remain on the transcript; however, they may not be used to fulfill any university requirements.
- Only University of Montana – Missoula or Missoula College grades and credits will be excluded.
- All excluded courses are still counted as attempted courses in determining if a student is meeting the pace standard of the financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy. If the terms being forgiven include courses a student previously passed the result could be that the student would now be out of compliance with the SAP policy and would have to do a financial aid appeal to have aid eligibility reinstated.
- A student will be granted Academic Forgiveness only one time.
- Students who receive Academic Forgiveness will be bound by the University Catalog in effect at the time of their return to the University or any subsequent catalog in accordance with University policy.
- This policy was adopted effective autumn semester 2011.
- Students who wish to apply must do so using the Academic Forgiveness Form.
- Academic advisor approval is required on the form. We recommend the form be completed with the student's academic advisor to review eligibility.
- The Registrar’s Office staff is responsible for verifying eligibility, adjusting the transcript, and notifying the student of approval. Students will be notified at their UM email account.
- Allow 30 days for processing.
Completed forms can be emailed from the student's UM email account or submitted in person to the Registrar's Office.