Except for minor spills or releases of radioactivity that can be controlled and cleaned by the user, CONTACT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING AT EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY:
Lance Meaux, Radiological Technician
Dan Dugan, Radiation Safety Officer
Chuck Emnett, UM Enterprise Risk Management
Zach Scott, Director of Research Compliance
University Emergency Hotline: 406-243-4000 (x4000 from campus phone)
Emergency Response Procedures
- If spill or contamination involves injury, administer first aid.
- If spill is on the skin, flush thoroughly, on clothing – discard in radiation waste receptacle.
- If accident involves gases, notify persons to vacate area; shut off hoods and fans if possible, seal area, and post warning.
- Take immediate steps to decontaminate personnel involved.
- Monitor all persons involved in the spill and cleanup.
- Contact the Radiation Safety Officer or other emergency contact listed above at earliest opportunity.
- Permit no person to resume work in the area until a survey has been made and approval of the Radiation Safety Officer or designated official is secured.
- Prepare the Spill Investigation form of the accident for the RSO.
Radiation Emergency References
- ACR Guidance pdf
- 6470-10A pdf
- FGR11 pdf
- FGR12 pdf
- FGR13 pdf
- Radiation Program Directors pdf
- CDC Acute Radiation Syndrome pdf
- CDC BioCard pdf
- CDC Chemical Card pdf
- CDC Radiation Card pdf
- Fallout Protection pdf