Kathryn Mariucci, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Reporting Animal Injuries
Last updated: July 21, 2014
When an LAR staff member (or other animal user) finds an animal with an injury or disease it is reported immediately to the Facility Manager who may then report to the Attending Veterinarian (AV). This ensures that the animals obtain proper medical treatment right away.
It is the LAR Staff's responsibility to properly care for and report any injuries that have occurred to animals used on Animal Use Protocols
A. Upon finding an injured animal the Animal Technician must:
- Ascertain the cause of the injury, if possible
- Make the animal as comfortable as possible
- Place a Vet Check card on cage
- Note problem on daily log sheet on animal room door
- Call the AV
- Inform the AV about the problem and location of animal. Be clear and concise.
- Inform primary investigator of injury to animal
- Note injury on cage card
B. If injury was caused by another cage mate,separate the animals.
C. If injury was caused by caging, etc., address and correct the problem.
D. Report Vet Check to the LAR Animal Technician in charge of Vet Check reporting.
E. Follow up with any specific treatment recommended by Facility Manager or Attending Veterinarian.