Kathryn Heivilin, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Last Review Date: January 5, 2018
To standardize the methods for ordering and for assuring housing availability for commercially available laboratory animals used in Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR) at the University of Montana.
It is the responsibility of the Facility Manager or IACUC Coordinator to order animals for all Principal Investigators using LAR facilities for animal housing.
- Principal Investigators submit an animal order form electronically to the Facility Manager or IACUC Coordinator with instructions for a requested arrival date of animals.
- Order forms are compared to the AUP cited on the order form to ensure Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approval of the species and numbers of animals ordered.
- Housing availability is verified by the Facility Manager before placing orders.
- Health reports are either faxed from the company or retrieved from the company website and reviewed by the Facility Manager prior to placing animal orders.
- Preferred vendors include:
- SPF Mice: Envigo, Jackson Laboratories, Charles River Laboratories, Taconic Laboratories
- Rabbits: Western Oregon Rabbit Company
- Pigmented guinea pigs: Charles River Laboratories
- Timed-pregnancy Sprague-Dawley rats: Charles River Laboratories or Envigo
- The Facility Manager or IACUC Coordinator places the orders by phone with a request for e-mail confirmation from the company
- For all companies, orders are charged to a departmental charge card but include the account number of the investigator as the purchase order number. This account number is used for internally charging the investigator's account after receipt of the paid invoice
- Holian (CEHS) orders placed with Jackson Labs are charged to the CEHS-Holian account that is listed on the animal order form
- Order forms are then completed with arrival date
- An electronic file of the completed order form is sent back to the animal user
- A hard copy of the order form is placed on the animal order clipboard in the LAR office in HSB 009.