Kathryn Mariucci, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Last Review Date: May 4, 2017
The majority of animals procured by UM are from commercial vendors supplying SPF-quality animals. LAR maintains a list of “preferred vendors” that have been evaluated and approved by the Facility Manager or AV. Vendor-supplied health status reports are reviewed regularly by the Facility Manager or AV and animals ordered from these preferred vendors do not require pre-approval relative to health status. Some in-house breeding occurs, under approved AUPs.
When procuring animals from unapproved vendors or from other academic institutions, the Facility Manager requires information about the genetic and pathogen status of the animals in question. The institutions are obliged to provide pertinent information, such as pathogen antibody serology results and parasite screens, prior to an animal shipment. The Facility Manager or AV reviews all animal health records in advance of approving shipments of animals. Additional testing, extended quarantine, or rederivation may be requested depending on animal health histories, or importation may be rejected.
Mice and rats from a non-preferred vendor are placed into quarantine in isolation cubicles and are examined within 48 hr after arrival for
It is the responsibility of the LAR Staff to accept animals from carriers, complete the required paperwork and filing, and notify the investigator(s) that their animals have arrived.
- Sign for the animals from delivery service.
nameof investigators on the delivery receipt.
- Put receipt in supervisor's box.
- Record species, number of animals, date, company
andinvestigator in Transportation Log (Health Science Office)
- Find the copy of the order form on Ordering Clipboard (Health Science Office)
- Make sure it matches the animals received.
- File in "Animal Order Forms Received" file in
cabinetof Health Science Office.
- Locate Packing Slip on the animal boxes received.
- Make sure it matches the order form and what was received.
- Note any extra animals on order form and transport log.
copyof packing slip in "Packing Slip" file( HS 009).
- Place Health Records in "Animal Health Certificate" file (HS 009), if applicable.
- USDA animal health records are placed in USDA Records notebook and species-specific animal health records notebook. Email PIs to inform them of animal deliveries.
- Call investigator(s) to let them know
animaslhave arrived and record phone call in phone log.
- Unpack animals using the SOP for "Unpacking Shipping Containers of Live Animals".