Kathryn Mariucci, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Cage Washer - HSB 012
Last Review Date: January 3, 2018
This standard operating procedure is designed to describe the proper use and maintenance of the cage washer in Health Science Building 012 in order to maintain sanitation of animal
It is the responsibility of all LAR Staff to know the proper use of the cage washer and to understand the different cycles, safety features, and upkeep procedures.
III. Protective clothing
A lab coatsand gloves must be worn when handling dirty animal contact materials.
- When handling clean animal contact materials, wear scrubs and gloves.
- Load dirty items into cage washer through door in dirty-room 012
- Turn ON cage washer Power
- Touch the screen and wait for temperature green line to come just past the red line.
- Press "Select Recipe" on the screen
- 01: Boxes-rat boxes, bottle, etc., use side wall and cart
- 02: No Cart-use side wall or large cages
- 03: Acid Wash-use side wall for rabbit pans or large rabbit cages
- Use up and down arrows to make selection
- Touch "Go To Start Cycle"
- Touch "Start"
- At end of wash:
- Unload clean items through cage washer door in hallway
- Turn Power switch OFF
V. Safety features
- Emergency STOP button on both doors of cage washer.
- Emergency cable inside cage washer turns off all power to cage washer
VI. Monitoring cage washer chemicals
- Monitor chemical usage in
30 gallondrums per Sanitation Strategies quarterly testing of pH, water hardness and dosing; recorded in notebook in HS009
- Weekly, draw a line on the drum to indicate liquid level. Date.
- Reorder chemicals as needed.
VII. Sanitation monitoring
- Hygiena SystemSURE Plus (SOP) - indicates that sanitation has occurred; use on the first Monday of the month.
- Thermolabel Temperature Strips (SOP) - indicates that temperature of 180°F was achieved; use one strip in first cage wash load each day.
VIII. Weekly maintenance at the end of each week
- Drain the sump by selecting Cycle 19 (Drain Sump). Clean out grates by removing from cage washer and spraying off with water.
- For specific cage washer problems, call Getinge Signature Services, (800) 950-9912.
- For specific facilities problems, call Facilities Services, (406) 243-6091.
- Detergent purchases use Sanitation Strategies, 541-217-1909