Kathryn Mariucci, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Animal Feed Ordering
Last updated: May 6, 2017
To order and maintain animal feed inventory within the LAR facility.
It is the responsibility of the facility manager to maintain correct levels of feed within the proper mill date specification to minimize waste and to maintain an accurate inventory of all feed.
- Take a complete inventory of all unopened feed on hand. Note mill date on form with the count. Mill date is pre-printed on bottom of each feed sack.
- Assemble new feed orders.
- Feed orders must be placed to Envigo by phone at least one week prior to delivery date.
- All food (and bedding) orders are shipped once per month by Envigo trucks.
- An order confirmation will be sent by email from Envigo. Check for accuracy; note any discrepancies to Envigo Customer Care (800) 793-7287.
- Before order arrives, all surface clean (ASC) the coolers with diluted bleach.
- When feed arrives, count and check off on the invoice as well as the Lab Animal Feed Inventory Order Form located in Health Science Building
- Note mill dates on form where indicated.
- Place feed in coolers, either 009B or 009C of Health Science Building.
- Teklad 2020X feed is stored in 009B.
- All other feed (including 2016 and 2019) is stored in 009C.
- Arrange feed so that sacks with the oldest mill dates are used first. (See SOP for Feed Storage)
- Make certain that feed bags are placed at least 6 inches from wall
- Mark bags to indicate species to be fed
- Rotate bags
- Remove and dispose of expired bags (6 months past mill date)