Kathryn Mariucci, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Animal Feed Storage
Last updated: January 26, 2015
To maintain proper storage of all feed to ensure stability of nutrients and to ensure that the feed is used within six months of the milling date.
It is the responsibility of the LAR Staff to properly store, maintain, and use feed within the facility.
- All feed is stored in walk-in coolers (38° F and 55° F) located in the Health Science basement.
- Coolers are numbered HS009B (38° F) and HS009C (55° F)
- Inside these coolers are storage racks to keep feed off the floors.
- All feed is to be stacked on the racks.
- All feed MUST be a minimum of six inches away from walls.
- Feed is stacked and used according to mill dates.
- Mill dates are pre-printed on each feed sack.
- Feed having the OLDEST mill date is used first.
- All feed will be marked with a “USE FIRST” sign that will be updated when new feed arrives or the older mill date runs out.
- When new feed arrives (see SOP for Feed Ordering).
- Feed is only useable for six months from printed mill date.
- All feed six months from mill date must be discarded
- Hay may be stored on pallets in the loading dock
- All fruits and vegetables must be stored in a waterproof sealed continer. The container must have a feed storage card indicating date of purchase
- Fruits and vegetables should be discarded after 2 weeks.