Kathryn Heivilin, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
NUAIRE Bedding Disposal Unit
Last Review Date: January 15, 2018
An Animal Bedding Disposal Unit is used to effectively reduce dust particles when disposing of used animal bedding. The Disposal unit is fitted with a hood and air filter system and effectively protects LAR staff from airborne particles.
It is the responsibility of all LAR Staff to know how to properly use and run the Skaggs Building and Health Science Building NUAIRE Animal Bedding Disposal Units
- Turn on Disposal Unit
- Wait about two (2) minutes
Orangelight blinks one (1) minute. Greenlight blinks one (1) minute.
- Solid green light indicates that you can begin to use the disposal unit
- Remove lid from unit and place lid behind doors on
- Dump all non-biohazardous animal bedding into the Disposal Unit
- Remove bag of bedding when full and tie bags closed
- Lift bag out of Disposal Unit trash can
- Tie a knot to close
- New bags are located under the counter (SB) or on
- Place a new bag into Disposal Unit trash can
- Place used bags on
cartin hallwayfor waste disposal. (See Waste Disposal SOP).
- When finished, replace lid and turn off unit
- Clean the NUAIRE Animal Bedding Disposal Unit with Micro-quat sanitizer
filteron Disposal Unit every month or when needed.
- clean filters are located in HSB 009B
- remove old filter located
in topof unit; place new filter securely in position
- dispose of
filter into a trash bag and place in old dumpster
- If the alarm on Disposal Unit goes off, you will need to change the filter
- Annual calibration and certification performed and documented by