Kathryn Heivilin, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Last Review Date: January 30, 2018
The purpose of this Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is to outline the Pest Control, ensure consistent and uniform care of animal facilities.
This procedure applies to all the Laboratory Animal Resources facilities on the campus of the University of Montana and the Field Research Station at Fort Missoula (FRSFM).
It is LAR policy to meet or exceed all federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines and to comply with all institutional policies and procedures as they apply to the use of animals in research. Personnel must attend any applicable training in animal care and use, occupational health and safety, equipment operation, and Standard operating Procedures prior to performing activities outlined in this SOP or work under the direct supervision of a trained LAR staff member.
Custom West Pest Control, 1918 Brooks Street, Missoula MT 59801, (406) 728-4447, is under contract to provide the University of Montana animal facilities with monthly service.
- Custom West Pest Control will perform monthly pest control throughout the animal facilities this will not include animal rooms. Areas to be sprayed will include but are not limited to storerooms, hallways, cage wash areas, loading dock areas, office areas and laundry room.
- Live traps are provided for HS009 ramp door and outdoors at the FRSFM. Vermin checks are done daily by LAR staff. Mice caught in these traps are euthanized using CO2 followed by cervical dislocation. The AV may request additional testing on carcasses.
- Ant traps are provided as requested.
- Custom West Pest Control will provide the University of Montana animal facilities with SDS and all material needed for documentation according to state regulations and guidelines.
- Custom West technicians e-mail the service report to file in the "Pest Control" notebook in HS009 and at the FRSFM.