Subscribe to RTC:Rural's Newsletter #RuralDisability
Find SCI resources on the Rural Disability Resource Library
November 22, 2019
Looking for spinal cord injury resources? Check out the Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center posts on the Rural Disability Resource Library, RTC:Rural’s information website. There you can find links to some fantastic resources to support individuals with spinal cord injury (SCI), traumatic brain injury (TBI), and burn injury.
The Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (MSKTC) works to make sure the latest and best research findings are being used in healthcare decision-making. In order to help improve the health and quality of life of people with spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, and burn injuries, MSKTC creates resources and products that share relevant research findings with the people who need this information.
The resources and information created and shared by MSKTC are important resources that help support people with disabilities so they can engage in their rural communities. In promoting this shared goal, RTC:Rural helps to share these resources with people in rural communities who can benefit from this information.
Free research-based user-friendly resources for individuals living with spinal cord injury and their families
The Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (MSKTC) offers free research-based user-friendly information resources to support individuals living with spinal cord injury (SCI) as well as traumatic brain injury (TBI) and burn injury. We’d like to encourage you to visit the MSKTC website by following the links below to download or print out SCI resources. MSKTC is funded by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research, Administration for Community Living, US Department of Health and Human Services.
- SCI Factsheets: http://www.msktc.org/sci/factsheets
- The MSTKC SCI factsheets cover a wide range of topics such as skin care and pressure sores, spasticity, pain management, bowel function, bladder management, urinary tract infection, respiratory health, sexuality, safe transfer technique, sports and recreation, adjusting to life, dysreflexia, depression, driving, employment, exercise, gait training, pregnancy, surgical alternatives for bladder management, and the wheelchair series!
- All our factsheets have a Spanish translation.
- SCI Facts and Figures, based on National SCI Model System Database: https://www.nscisc.uab.edu/Public/Facts%20and%20Figures%202019%20-%20Final.pdf
- SCI Quick Reviews (plain language summary of research studies): http://www.msktc.org/sci/Quick-Reviews
- SCI Videos: http://www.msktc.org/sci/videos
- SCI Slideshows: http://www.msktc.org/sci/slideshows
- SCI Hot Topic Modules: http://www.msktc.org/sci/Hot-Topics
- SCI research resources:
- SCI Systematic reviews: http://www.msktc.org/sci/research/systematic-reviews
- SCI Model System Directory: http://www.msktc.org/sci/model-system-centers
- SCI Model System Publications Database: http://www.msktc.org/publications?sys=S
In addition to SCI resources, the MSTKC has also produced free research-based resources on traumatic brain injury (http://www.msktc.org/tbi) and burn injury (http://www.msktc.org/burn). The MSKTC resources may be reproduced and distributed freely with appropriate attribution. Prior permission must be obtained for inclusion in fee-based materials.
For questions about MSKTC resources, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.