Tech Liaison Updates November 2011
- Antony Jo
- Dan Bowling
- Ber Yang
- Jessica Roberson
- Kate Oyler
- Melissa Steinike
- Brooke Horeau
- Jess Neidigh
No RTA rounds during Winter Break
- We will still be reachable 8am-5pm for phone support, and will send RTAs to departments
- No rounds Wednesday-Friday of Thanksgiving
Update on 25Live
- 25Live is scheduling software that the Registrar's office purchased
- Used for scheduling rooms, resources, etc.
- May or may not replace EMS, depending on software functionality and limitations
- Go to the Registrar's office now and tell them what your department needs, so they know ahead of time.
Tech Partners Meeting
- On Tuesday, 11/22 from 2:30-4pm in the Gallagher Business Building 123
- President Engstrom will be in attendance presumably to address concerns about IT consolidation
Public Folders Issues
- Many departments experienced issues with public folders the week of 11/6, but the Exchange Admins worked on it and it should be fixed.
- Please let us know if you're still having public folder issues, like with email or permissions.
Public Folders Cleanup
- Take a look at your department's public folders and let us know if there are public folders that you are not using so we may delete them.
- What is the CAG? - Citrix Access Gateway
- There have been reports that it has been running slowly, please let us know if you experience extremely long lag times.
- Demand for BlackBoard and Empower access
- Melissa will be working on who to give reporting access to
- Direct access will not be granted, however reporting access will be granted
- Database is not user-friendly
- We need volunteers for Crystal Reports testing after Thanksgiving (reports and permissions)
- Let Jessica know if you'd like to help
- Please give feedback about policies and procedures
- We can help unify databases and processes
- We have an approved list of electricians for Ethernet wiring
- Please work with us so everyone follows the requisite procedures for both Ethernet and power
- Facility Services is supposed to do wiring
- Walk-through with Reconnect was completed for CREC
- RLO is going; hardware is in place and we will be producing information and instructions next week
- We have Access Points for the UC, Lomasson Center, and Campus Recreation
- We will hopefully have a quick turnaround after we receive a quote for CREC.
- IT Central has a standardized wireless sign, we will find out about usage.
Changes to Hosted Databases
- We have a service-level agreement
- We published an update to it, but there were no significant changes, just clarifications
- Please read it and let us know if you have concerns.
- iButt and Dropbox
- If anything is FERPA-protected or confidential, do not post it on iButt or in Dropbox
- Account forwarding is not secure and therefore not recommended
- Let us know if you need solutions, like access to your J drive while off campus; we can work with you.
- Adrian Irish has a specific policy in the works
- There are solutions for credit card storage; if you're storing numbers online or in an unsecure database, we can help you
- POSs and credit card machines are fine.
- CBORD Upgrade
- BlackBoard Upgrade
- Empower Upgrade
- EMS Upgrade (?) Brooke will update us; Event Planning should be testing the new version
- Tech Lounge in the UC on December 5th; we're not helping set up or with support.
- Improvements on the UC website; Dan and Gwen will meet.
- Hardware Inventory
- We will be working with your department for a computer/monitor/printer count
- CREC lane-watching?
Web Environment Changes
- Current setup:
- We have a single server, appx. 4 years old
- We're currently migrating to something newer
- Winter Break (Dec. - Jan.)
- We're going to start breaking things into groups
- Will need to rest resources in the new environment
- Let us know about specialized needs for resources
- This will allow us to consolidate domain names
Cascade Server Upgrade
- Will happen within the next month
- We're currently testing, but let us know about specialized things you need so we can check functionality
- Please contact Dan with questions
Web Templates and Header/Footer Change
- We're again putting templates high on the priority list
- Migration will start in January
- More flexible and will work well with mobile devices
- Will have to migrate by hand, think about a good time to copy things from the old site to the new site
- This would be a good time to address changes and desired site behaviors
- Web committee has changed it
- More streamlined and cleaner
- We'll contact you about changing over
Web Developer Search Update
- We're currently looking for a full-time web developer
- The job description has been approved by Vice President Branch, so we're just waiting on HR.
Ticket Creation Issue Resolved
- Ticketing system had issues at least from noon on Wednesday, possibly a full 24 hours before that, it has been resolved
- If you notice something not working, please let us know
- If you rename or move a page or folder without unpublishing them first, they will stick around
- Dan will contact you about completely deleting your site and then republishing to get rid of orphan files/folders
- If moving or renaming pages or files, make sure you unpublish first
- We have a staging server so you can make changes then publish to the live server