Tech Liaison Updates April 2012
- Jon Pielet
- Jess Neidigh
- Becky Maier
- Antony Jo
- Jessica Roberson
- Dan Bowling
- Eric Seyden
- Brooke Hoareau
- Shane Heivly
- Kate Oyler
- Alina Calianu
- Upping the RAM.
- Saturday 6-8 am.
- Shutting down server, installing more RAM.
- These departments will be affected by the XenServer downtime and should have received an e-mail from Antony Jo:
File reports from the SAN
- Jessica has been running scans for old files or duplicate files.
- Old files report is files that haven't been edited for a year or more.
- Please contact Jessica if you have any questions or want more information; also Media and Marketing drives.
- We can run reports to your specifications and file formats (Excel v. HTML).
- Will be emailing reports tonight (4-19) or tomorrow morning (4-20).
IT Strategic Plan
- IT consultants left last week.
- Recommendations will be in report sent to CIO
- Make IT more inclusive
- Have a standing committee with representation from:
- Academic computing
- Enterprise application
- Research computing
- User support
- CIO Search Committee
- President's expectation shared with committee
- Jesse Neidigh is on the search committee
- Committee writing role description. Goal is for draft to be completed by mid-May; approved by early June, and posted by the end of June.
- CIO should be visionary over operational
- Will be a VP-level position
- Lab Server issues
- Lab users couldn't go to YouTube/Facebook
- May have affected the Kiosks
- If there are still problems, please let us know.
- Problem with USB files and office products
- Igels not affected
- Students can go to and save to SkyDrive
- Summer project - block adult content on labs
- Summer projects/computer orders
- Change in purchasing.
- We can do ordering, but we'll assign cart to your department so the authorized user can finalize the order:
- Only for vendors in Grizmart; if you need something for Newegg, Amazon, etc, it's okay, we can still purchase from those vendors
- Curry: Windows 7 upgrade; finished in the beginning of July. Publish Medicat, UMDW, Banner.
- July 1: We'll have capital to buy IGels for first-come first-serve to replace WebDTs
- These Igels will come with no peripherals
- DSS: Documentation and ticketing system with Dan for mid-summer.
- SAIT web: Looking at knowledge bases rather than Media Wiki
- Shane wants to help with demos; Jon, Brooke, Mo?
- Can help with student staff who have high turnover.
- Knowledge bases offer finer-grain control.
Web environment migration status update
- We're moving to a new web server
- Get off of cold fusion applications by the end of the fiscal year.
- It will be exactly the same, but faster.
- Slow movement behind the scenes.
- Current web server will be proxy server.
- Cascade will have new destinations - 2x in next 4 mos.
- Cascade will move over before fall
New RTA coordinators
- Andrew Letson
- Michael Callahan
- We're hiring for at least 3 RTA positions