Staff Senate Scholarships
Annually the scholarship committee shall award one scholarship to a dependent of a University of Montana Staff member. A dependent is defined as child, grandchild, spouse, or adult dependent, as currently defined by Human Resource Services. A University of Montana staff member is defined as a permanent staff member who is not a contract administrator, contract professional, individual on a Letter of Appointment, or faculty. The committee selects a scholarship recipient from qualified applications based on: campus and/or community involvement and academic achievements. The awarded funds shall be used by a full time student at University of Montana, which includes mountain campus, Missoula College, or Bitterroot College.
Long term objective is for funds to be appropriated to an endowed scholarship through the UM Foundation.
Staff Senate scholarships are open to incoming freshmen, continuing education students, graduate students, and transfer students. Previous recipients are eligible to apply.
To be considered for a scholarship, the applicant must complete their application online using the UM Scholarship Portal. The following must be complete and submitted by March 20, 2020:
- General Application – This will be used for not only the Staff Senate Scholarship consideration but may be used for other scholarship opportunities supported by UM. For more general information about the UM Scholarship Portal visit http://www.umt.edu/finaid/scholarships/um-scholarship-portal/default.php.
- Staff Senate Scholarship Application which includes:
- UM Staff member basic information
- A one-page biographical statement
- Two letters of reference
For questions regarding the scholarship program, please contact Michelle Tolzien at email@example.com.
The Staff Senate conducts fundraisers to support these scholarships, but they also rely on donations from the campus community. You can make a big difference and help your fellow staff members by contributing to the Staff Senate Scholarship Fund, and your contributions are tax deductible!You can contribute in any of the following ways:
- A check made out to Staff Senate may be sent to: Staff Senate, Building 32, Room 135F, University of Montana, 32 Campus Drive, Missoula, MT 59812. Note "Scholarships" on the check.
- An optional, easy way to contribute is by making small, regular contributions through payroll deduction to the Staff Senate Scholarship Fund at the UM Foundation. Even $5 per month would be much appreciated! File a Payroll Deduction Form and designate "Other" and put "Staff Senate Scholarships" in the comments.
- University departments can donate, too, by transferring funds into MAF100, the Staff Senate Scholarship Fund at Business Services!