The application period for 2022-2023 awards is now open! The deadline is February 25, 2021.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship opportunities exist for all students—new and returning, undergraduate and graduate. Awards are administered through the UM Scholarship Portal. Once you are accepted to UM, you can log into the Portal using your NetID and password for one centralized scholarship application. You will be matched scholarship opportunities campus-wide and scholalarships specifically in the School of Theatre and Dance. If you wish to be considered, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the scholarship application through the UM Scholarship Portal
- A letter of intent that outlines your goals and aspirations
- An unofficial transcript from your current high school or college/university
- An email address for an current or past instructor or collaborator: the system will ask them to provide a letter of recommendation
- A link to or attachment of one or more of the following that demonstrate your current abilities:
- DANCE - a video of your dancing (in class or performance)
- ACTING - a single 60-second monologue: the character must be close to your actual age and the monologue must be from a play written in the last 10 years
- MUSICAL THEATRE - 32 bars of a song, in the musical-theatre genre of your choice, with accompaniment
- DESIGN and TECHNOLOGY - 3-5 pictures of your theatre or related work with an explanation of what you did. Pictures could be production photos, showing something you built or designed; they could be of an art project/cosplay costume or prop/carpentry project/drafting/sculpture or anything that will show us how you work with your hands; a full design/technology portfolio or personal website is also acceptable.
If you intend to major in more than one area, please complete letters that are specific to each area and upload them as a single multi-page document (you’ll still only need one transcript). Also upload all the additional resumes/information for each pertinent area as outlined above.