Welcome to The University of Montana and congratulations on your acceptance to The Graduate School!

First things first:

Clear Your Health Hold

You must provide a copy of your immunization records in order to register for classes. You can submit this information through the Health Portal on the Curry Health Center website or using this form.

To check your hold status:

  • Log into your CyberBear account, using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID lookup tool. If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
  • If you experience NetID login problems please contact the IT Central Help Desk at (406) 243-HELP (x4357) Mon – Fri 8 am – 5 pm MST.
  • Next, click on the top link that says “Student Services” followed by “Student Records” and then “View Holds”.

Submit your final transcripts

Once you have completed your final quarter or semester at your current institution, please make sure to send UM your final official transcript. Questions? Contact Chelsea at chelsea.niewald@umontana.edu.

Get a Griz Card

Your Griz Card is your University of Montana photo identification card. The Griz Card provides convenient access to resources and services on and off campus, including the recreation center, and can be loaded with UMoney, a prepaid flexible spending account that can be used at many businesses on campus and in the rest of the Missoula community. The Griz Card Center is located in the University Center (UC).  The $20 Griz Card Admin Fee is charged to new student's CyberBear account. 

What's next?

UM Technology and Registration

In order to register for classes, as well as navigate as a UM student, it is important that you familiarize yourself with the technology options available on campus. You will register for courses using CyberBear. It is also essential to set up your UMConnect email account, and get in the habit of checking it regularly. (Here is a video showing how to forward email from your UMConnect to your personal email.  Additionally, IT Central can help with forwarding email from your UMConnect account to your personal email account upon request). Access to all your online technology online is available at my.umt.edu.

It's useful to know the difference between your NetID and your Student ID, as both numbers are important for you to know as a UM Student.

  • NetID

The NetID format is two letters (first initial, last initial) and six numbers (e.g. "ab123456"). Your initial password is the last six digits of your Student ID number (the 790 number). You will use your NetID to access many systems on campus and online, such as UMConnect, CyberBear, OneStop, UM Online Moodle. The NetID is displayed in CyberBear under the Personal Information Section (see following instructions) and may also be obtained at OneStop by clicking on "What is my NetID?"

To sign on to CyberBear:

    • Select "Personal Information"
    • Select "NetID"
    • Students will see an entry of the form "ab123456"
  • Student ID

Your Student ID number likely begins with a 790, and can be found on your acceptance letter. You will need this number when you are communicating with offices on campus (such as Admissions, Financial Aid or Residence Life) so they can locate your student file.  It can also be found on your Griz Card.

UMConnect: Your Student Email

Access to your student email account is available here.

Registering for Classes

CyberBear is the system used at UM for registration. You will also find important notices and links to a variety of student resources there. Please watch this video about Cyberbear Course Registration, which will walk you through the various steps for registering. Talk to your advisor or program coordinator to find out what classes for which you will need to register.  Remember:  There are different requirements for your department and for the graduate school.

Once you've registered for your classes, it's important to pay your registration bill (or confirm you are paying with financial aid) by the required deadline. The video below explains UM's online payment process. If you don't finalize by the deadline, your registration will be canceled.

Paying your Registration Bill

If you're using financial aid

If you're not using financial aid

Forming your thesis committee

At some point early in your program, you will need to form your thesis committee. The Graduate School has specific requirements for the qualifications of graduate committee members. Don't wait too long to do this, as it could slow your progress later on.

TA Orientation

If you’re enrolled in a Teaching Assistant (TA) graduate program, you’ll have to attend an orientation in the Fall.  

TA Orientation Schedule

Parking at UM

A parking permit or guest pass (see Visitor Parking) is required to park on the UM campus throughout the year, Monday - Friday 7 am - 5 pm.  Parking permits can be requested through Cyberbear. For more information, see the UMPD Parking Division website.