Distance Learning for Students
We are working hard to provide high-quality learning and campus life in a healthy environment. On-campus hygiene and providing students with optimal learning environments are our top priorities.
If you are in need of accommodations, please visit Office for Disability Equity.
THINKING ABOUT YOUR OPTIONS FOR NEXT SEMESTER?
We will teach face-to-face as much as possible, there will be more remote and online learning options than before. Your classes will be taught in a variety of ways which we will now explain below:
Face-to-face: Students and faculty work together in a scheduled classroom.
- You are able to distinguish these courses by registering for section numbers 01-25. For example, WRIT 101-01, WRIT 101-02, etc. These course sections will be available Face-to-face.
Online: Learning and dialogue do not require any in-person meeting and are most often offered asynchronously. Learning happens on your schedule. While your course of study, instructor or degree program will provide materials for reading, lectures for viewing, assignments for completing, and exams for evaluation, you have the ability to access and satisfy these requirements within a flexible time frame.
- You can register for these courses by selecting courses with section numbers between 50-65. For example, WRIT 101-50.
Video Conferencing: Students and faculty work together synchronously through web-based communication technology such as Zoom. This means you, your classmates and your instructor interact in a specific virtual place, through a specific online medium, at a specific time.
- You can distinguish these courses by registering for section numbers beginning with the letter V followed by a number 01-25. For example, a remote section of WRIT 101 will appear as WRIT 101-V01.
Blended: These courses are taught with a combination of both in-person and some virtual or online participation, with required attendance of both.
- You can register for these sections of course by selecting section numbers beginning with the letter M followed by a number 01-25. For example, a blended section of WRIT 101 will appear as WRIT 101-M01.
Hybrid / Hyflex: These courses are taught as a subset of a "blended" course, providing students the option to participate synchronously online, or face-to-face, or asynchronously online. In addition, the instructor may allow the flexibility of students to choose any of the Hyflex attendance options on any given meeting date.
- You can register for these sections of a course by selecting section numbers beginning with the letter H followed by a number 01-25. For example, a hybrid/hyflex section of WRIT 101 will appear as WRIT 101-H01.
Distance-only students: You will only be able to register for course sections using “Internet, online or video conferencing” methods.
- You can register for these courses by selecting courses beginning with the letter I followed by the numbers 50 through 59. For example, WRIT 101-I51.
WHAT IS THE COST OF TUITION AND FEES AT UM ONLINE?
We want you to understand how your bill might look this semester.
- Online: Fee of $49 per credit hour to cover the asynchronous costs of LMS and technology support.
- Video Conference fee: Fee of $49 per credit hour to cover the synchronous costs of LMS and technology support.
- Blended fee: Fee of $24 per credit hour to cover additional LMS and technology support.
- Hybrid / Hyflex: Fee of $24 per credit hour to cover additional LMS and technology support.
- Campus-based fees: Campus-based fees will be applied per the Tuition and Fee structure for all face-to-face, video conference (online), and blended classes.
When you get your new schedule, please talk to your adviser if you have questions about fees. Fees are subject to change. Please visit UM’s Tuition and Fee web page for the most current information.
HOW DO I GET STARTED SELECTING THE RIGHT CLASS MODALITY FOR THIS SEMESTER?
- Take a look at the list of courses available.
- Decide what courses you would like to take.
- Communicate with your academic advisor about the list of courses you are interested in.
- Register for classes in Cyberbear.
- If you were signed up for a class that has been canceled, you can reach out to your adviser to find alternatives, or to find out when that course will be offered again.
- If you have questions about your new schedule, please contact your adviser. They can answer questions and make other changes if you need them.