Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau gathers information about households by counting people where they live and sleep most of the time. It takes just 10 minutes to fill out the census form, but the information you provide affects your political representation in Congress and the allocations of billions of dollars in government funding for communities. A complete and accurate 2020 census shapes our future—and you can make a difference.
Your participation is required by the US Constitution and supports funding for Missoula social services, infrastructure, and programs that invest in Missoula and the campus community. The cOVID-19 pandemic has created new challenges for the 2020 Census, but none that we can’t overcome together, so make sure you and everyone you know is counted.
- A college student who stays most of the year at a college apartment will be counted there, not at their parents’ house where they stay during college breaks.
- An American student who is living and attending college outside the United States will not be counted in the Census.
- An international student who is living and attending college in the United States will be counted at his college residence.
- Federal student loans
- Federal research grants
- Campus improvements
- Campus funding
- Health and social services
- Federal legislation
- Federal funding
- School Safety
- Community mental health services
- Student wellness programs
- Medical Assistance Program
- Public Transportation
For the first time in history, you will be able to respond to the Census online.
Call the Census Bureau toll-free at 1-800-354-7271
You may first receive information by mail explaining how to respond online. If you do not complete the survey online in two weeks, you will receive a paper form.
The Census Bureau is hiring more than a million employees to help execute the 2020 Census. A variety of temporary jobs, which are perfect for college students, are available. Census jobs pay competitive wages based on current pay rates in your area. For information about census jobs, visit 2020census.gov/jobs.