Access Your Benefits
Submit Notification of Intent
To request VA Education Benefits military-affiliated students need to submit the Notification of Intent each semester they want to use benefits.
Please click the Notification of Intent button to continue with your request.
Notification Of Intent Troubleshooting
There are a few errors a student may encounter when submitting a Notification Of Intent.
- Address and phone errors are the most common, to rectify please log into your Cyberbear and click on the personal information tab in the upper left corner, then click on the General Self-Service link. This is where you can update your phone number or address, you have to have both a mailing and permanent phone number and address listed.
- The second most common error is not yet being registered for classes, you have to first register for classes before you will be able to submit your Notification Of Intent for a semester.
- Making adjustments to your registration after you submit your Notification Of Intent may impact your benefits and take longer to process.
- The third error a student may receive is missing Social Security Number (SSN), to rectify this the VETS Office will need a copy of the student's SSN card or a DD-214 where the SSN can be verified. The SSN card or DD-214 can be emailed to MVSO@mso.umt.edu.
Once the error has been rectified the student may still receive the same error, this is caused by how web browsers cache information. To fix this a student can clear their cache then close their web browser and try again, or open a new incognito window to submit their Notification Of Intent.
Tuition Assistance (TA)
All Students using TA
The U.S. Armed Services offer Tuition Assistance (TA) to Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve personnel who fulfill certain requirements. TA is a distinct source of financial aid for eligible service members and is mandated to be the first payer of their college tuition.
Prior to enrolling, eligible service members must receive approval for TA funding from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their branch of service (see Branch Specific TA Information tab for information on how to apply for TA).
Students can enroll in TA-qualifying courses at the University of Montana, Missoula College, Bitterroot College, or an online program. As much as 100% of the tuition rate is covered by TA for academic credit hours – undergraduate or graduate – that cost $250 or less (Maximum Amount is branch specific). The tuition cost, along with certain course-specific fees, is paid by the student’s branch of service directly to the University of Montana. Students using TA are responsible for paying the difference in tuition rates above $250 per credit hour, along with any fees not covered by TA.
TA is a form of "Third Party Billing" at the University of Montana and third-party billing is handled by the Student Accounts Office in tandem with the Military and Veteran Services Office.
The University of Montana Military and Veterans Services Office acts as a liaison for military-affiliated students, please contact us with questions or concerns:
We recommend talking about your financial planning by consulting with the University of Montana's Financial Education Program to ensure you are set up for success.
Montana Army and Air National Guard
Students in the Montana Army and Air National Guard are eligible for many different funding opportunities while pursuing higher education at the University of Montana.
VA Education Benefits: Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected reserves, please visit our Getting Started page for more information on how to apply and use this benefit.
Montana National Guard Tuition Waiver (MTNGTW): This is a Montana University System waiver that is available for qualified service members, please visit Award Montana for more information.
- The waiver only waives tuition, not fees, and will be applied after other forms of funding have been applied.
- Do not have to be using TA to apply for the waiver
- Do not have to be degree-seeking to apply for the waiver
- Graduate students are eligible for the waiver
- Does not apply toward flat fee courses
Military Tuition Assistance (TA): Tuition Assistance is a first payer and can be combined with Chapter 1606 and MTNGTW, for more information please review the ALL STUDENTS USING TA and BRANCH SPECIFIC TA INFORMATION on this page.