Events Feed Technical Guide
The Events Plugin will generate a formatted display of your upcoming calendar events and is a great way to easily display up-to-date information on your website.
This plugin utilizes a feed from the UM Events Calendar. You can submit an event for the calendar at events.umt.edu. In the column on the right, click 'Post Your Event'. Submitting an event to this form puts it in a queue curated by University Relations. Once approved, the event will show up in your feed if properly categorized and tagged.
Events Feed Helper
The Events Feed Helper will allow you to easily search for Category IDs and Event Tags for use with the Events Feed plugin in Cascade CMS. Simply choose from the categories and tags presented and press the submit button. The Helper will show you which IDs and Tags correspond to your selection.
Events Feed Implementation
In the Events Feed block you can specify important information about the events calendar which will be used to pull your events feed. Most notably, you must enter your Category IDs and Event Tags here.
- View: This field determines how your Events Feed is displayed. Current options are 'stream' and 'pasteboard'. Defaults to 'stream'.
- Category ID: Each event in the UM Events System has one ore more category IDs associated with it. These numbers can be found in the Events Feed Helper.
- Event Tags: Similar to Category IDs, Event Tags are added when an event is created, and can be used to specify what type of events you would like in your feed. Also found in the Events Feed Helper.
- Tags are more specific than Category IDs. If both categories and tags are chosen, events will only be displayed if they are in both the provided categories as well as tags.
- Limit: This field will determine how many events show in your Event Feed.
If you have chosen the stream view from the Events Plugin dropdown, your events will display similar to the screenshot below. This is the default view when creating a new Events Feed Plugin.
If you have chosen the posterboard view from the Events Plugin dropdown, your events will display similar to the screenshot below.