What are the dates for Winter Session?
Monday, Nov. 30 - Friday, Dec. 18, 2020.
How is Winter Session being taught?
Almost all of our Winter Session courses are being conducted online or remotely. There may be some labs or some other experiential learning opportunities available in person on campus.
Why should I take a Winter Session course?
Taking a course during Winter Session can help you to get ahead, stay on track to graduate, catch up, or simply take advantage of the extended winter break.
If I am staying on campus for winter break, will campus housing be available during the Winter Session?
UM Housing and Residence Halls close for Winter Break at noon on Monday, Nov. 30, 2020 and reopen for Spring Semester on January 6, 2021. All residents must leave by noon on Nov. 30, unless prior arrangements have been made with the UM Housing Office. Students who need housing during Winter Break and/or Winter Session need to sign up in the myHousingPortal. Students are required to submit their request three business days prior to the first date housing is needed. Residents may chose to stay a few nights once UM Housing closes for Fall Semester, return early for Spring Semester, or request to stay the entire Winter Break.
Please note that if you do stay on campus, there is a charge for housing during Winter Break and the charges are calculated by the total number of nights requested:
$23.00 1 night
$46.00 2 nights
$100 3-7 nights
$450 8 nights or more
It is also important to note that in most cases, students will stay in their Fall Semester hall/room assignment. However, those residents assigned to Pantzer Hall will need to vacate by Noon on Monday, November 30, 2020. Pantzer residents requesting housing during the break, will be assigned a single room in Jesse Hall.
UM Housing can be reached at (406) 243-2611 or you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where do I find the most up-to-date Coronavirus information as it pertains to UM?
How much does Winter Session cost?
The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education has set a fee of $250 per credit ($750 for a 3-credit course) for UM-Mountain Campus courses and $125 per credit ($375 for a 3-credit course) for Missoula College courses. This cost is for both in-state and out-of-state residents. It is a flat Winter Session fee that will be added to your spring 2021 bill.
As a helpful tip - When you are searching for Winter Session courses, if you click on the course and then the "Fees" tab, you will see the Winter Session Fee listed for reference.
What are the payment deadlines for Winter Session?
Can I apply for Financial Aid for Winter Session?
Yes! If you have already completed your 2021 FAFSA and begun the financial aid process for the fall and spring semesters, then no additional form is needed, as Winter Session will be included on your spring bill. If you would like Financial Aid to look at increasing your spring financial aid budget (i.e. COA), please email them at email@example.com. Please note that if you have already taken out the maximum aid for the spring semester, there may not be any additional funding available to cover this increased cost (i.e. the Winter Session program/course fees). If you have not completed your 2021 FAFSA form yet, the priority deadline for submission is November 1, 2020 for Winter Session 2020 and the Spring and Summer 2021 terms.
Please note that waivers cannot be used on Winter Session. Waivers only apply to mandatory tuition and Winter Session is a course fee (not tuition).
Are Winter Session scholarships available?
Scholarships are not available for Winter Session 2020.
I am not a current UM student, can I still take a Winter Session course?
- If you are a visiting, non-degree seeking student who has never attended the University of Montana or Missoula College, you will need to complete the Fall/Spring Semester 2021 Application. This application for winter session closes at 5:00 pm (MST) on Wednesday, November 18, 2020.
- If you are a visiting, non-degree seeking student who has attended the University of Montana or Missoula College in the past 23 months, you can just register for courses, as you are considered a continuing student.
- If you are a returning undergraduate student (a student who has completed at least one term or more) who has been away from campus for more than 24 months, then you should complete the Application for Readmission. This application for winter session closes at 5:00 pm (MST) on Wednesday, November 18, 2020.
- If you are a degree seeking undergraduate student wishing to start your education with the University of Montana or Missoula College in the winter, you will need to complete the Fall/Spring Semester 2021 Application. This application for winter session closes at 5:00 pm (MST) on Wednesday, November 18, 2020.
When does registration for Winter Session open?
Where do I find a listing of courses being offered during Winter Session?
How do I search for a Winter Session course and find more information about it?
- Click on the Course Search to browse classes beginning the last week of September.
- Select “Spring Semester 2021” term from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Continue”
- Select “Winter Session” from the “Part of Term” option.
- Click “Search”
All Winter Session courses will be returned in the results. Note: you can narrow down your search by selecting additional options within the “Part of Term” and “Online/Attendance Method” options.
How many credits can I register for during Winter Session?
The choice will ultimately be yours, but we advise that you take no more than one course during this three-week time frame.
What are the deadlines for registering (adding) and/or dropping a Winter Session course?
When will final grades for Winter Session be posted?
Grades should be available to view by Jan. 1, 2021, but will not be posted to your transcripts until May 14, 2021.