Applying for Admission

Who is eligible

Thank you for your interest in The University of Montana Graduate School. We welcome applicants holding a U.S. baccalaureate or an equivalent international degree from an accredited institution.

How to Apply

1.) Complete the online application at which includes submitting a $60 non-refundable application fee electronically using a credit card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover) or debit check (Note: when using a debit check, there is usually a delay of up to ten working days until the check clears and the application can be processed). 

2.) We encourage applicants to read all directions thoroughly when filling out the online application. For questions about the online application process, please call the Graduate School at 406-243-2672.

3.) Most additional materials can be uploaded within the online application.  Please check your program's web site for required additional materials.

4.) Letter of recommendation forms are completed within the online application. Hard copies do not need to be sent in addition to the electronic copies.

5.) Official transcripts should be sent directly to the program you are applying to. We also accept transcripts electronically through the National Student Clearinghouse. Be sure to list the email for the Graduate School as

6.) Applying to multiple departments requires an application for each department and a submission of a non-refundable application fee. The first application fee is $60.00; any application after, within a 12 month period is $20.00.

**Official transcripts must show bachelor's degree awarded.  If you will not complete your bachelor's degree before the application deadline, you may submit an in-progress transcript (this can be unofficial). This requirement may vary between departments. Please check with the department to which you are applying to determine what their requirement states. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit a final, official transcript.  NEW FINANCIAL AID GUIDELINES STARTING IN ACADEMIC YEAR 2013-14 MANDATE THAT A FINAL TRANSCRIPT SHOWING THE COMPLETED BACHELOR'S DEGREE MUST BE ON FILE BEFORE REGISTRATION WILL BE PERMITTED FOR THE INITIAL TERM.**