Interpreting services for university events
NOTE: This information is for departments or campus events, not courses or academic programs for which such services are required by deaf and hard-of-hearing students who are working with us.
The Office for Disability Equity accepts sign language interpreting and captioning services requests for campus events sponsored by the university, colleges, or departments. These events include University addresses, guest lectures, recognition ceremonies, celebrations, and conferences. Faculty, staff, and campus event organizers can request these services to ensure their events are accessible for all participants, including deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals.
Interpreting Rates: $50 per hour per interpreter. Two interpreters may be required for events with multiple speakers or that exceed one hour. If outside contractors are hired, hourly charges will vary.
Captioning Rates: Charges vary from $80 to $150 per hour, depending on the format of the event. (Captioning provides voice-to-text access.)
Due to the limited availability of interpreters and captioners, we have set the following criteria to prioritize service requests for university events:
- Initial request date. Early requests are given higher priority. Although we will make every attempt to accept requests for the interpreter or captioning services, there is no guarantee for any request submitted less than three (3) business days prior to the event.
- Promptness in providing necessary information.
In the event of a theatrical performance, a copy of the script must be provided at least three weeks in advance.
How to request services
Submit the following information to Denise May, Lead Sign Language Interpreter, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- required services (e.g. an interpreter or a captioner)
- contact person of the event
- event name
- event date and time
- event location
- event description
- billing address
- To secure services, submit the request as far in advance as possible but at least three (3) business days before the event date. Last-minute requests cannot be guaranteed, although we will attempt to secure interpreting or captioning services.
- The cost for interpreters and captioning services for university events, which are open to the public, is the responsibility of the hosting unit or entity.
- Travel expenses for off-campus events will be charged for the interpreters or captioners. We calculate these expenses using the University of Montana travel guidelines and procedures.
- To cancel the services, notify the Office for Disability Equity at least 24 business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) in advance to avoid any charges.