MISSOULA – One of the nation’s oldest annual powwows will be held virtually this year. The University of Montana student-organized Kyiyo Pow Wow will present the 53rd annual week of dancing, singing, story sharing and events held Monday, April 12, through Sunday, April 18.
Unifying Native Americans from across the nation and Montana, the annual celebration preserves the rich heritage of tribes and cultures while renewing old traditions.
“We regret to have to transition an important and powerful week for our cultures, our families and our University to an online version this year,” said UM student and Kyiyo President Aislyn Baker. “But out of deep respect for elders and our community, we decided to employ an extra precaution of safety this year.”
The weeklong events will be shared on the Kyiyo Pow Wow Facebook page at facebook.com/kyiyopowwow.com.
Kyiyo Virtual Week events include:
- Monday and Tuesday, April 12-13: Traditional cooking with All Nations Health Center, 4-6 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 14: Online auction, 4-8 p.m.
- Thursday, April 15: Kyiyo Live, meet-and-greet Kyiyo members, 4-5 p.m.
- Friday, April 16: Collegiate and youth specials, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday, April 17: Kyiyo Officer Dance specials, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Sunday, April 18: Winners announced by Ruben Little Head, 5 p.m.
Dance and singing specials require a video submission for the collegiate, teens, juniors, Men’s chicken, family hand drum, switch and mother-daughter dance specials. Participants for specials must register online at http://bit.ly/kyiyo2021. Winning contestants will be paid via electronic funds transfer.
To complement powwow events, UM’s Alexander Blewett School of Law and the Montana Native American Law Student Association will present the 19th annual Indian Law Week 2021, with a host of panels and discussions on federal legislative updates on Indian affairs, Native civic engagement, initiatives addressing Missing and Murdered Indigenous Persons and tax policy that promotes tribal sovereignty.
UM Kyiyo student officers include:
- President: Aislyn Baker (Chippewa Cree)
- Vice-President: Valene Talks Different (Gros Ventre)
- Treasurer: Zach Rides At The Door (Blackfeet)
- Secretary: Olivia Perez (Salish)
- UM Staff Advisors: Wilena Old Person (Yakama/Blackfeet) and Gisele Forest (Assiniboine)
For questions about the Kyiyo Pow Wow, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 406-243-4097.