MISSOULA – University of Montana students and community members are invited to celebrate the start of the semester with a slate of winter events. UM welcomes returning students for spring semester 2023 with a host of winter events meant to celebrate the return of Grizzlies and highlight the unique sense of place western Montana provides during deep winter. Part of UM’s winter charm includes an on-campus ice rink, open to community use, a rising club hockey team and plenty of cross-country skiing available on the UM Golf Course.
“Winter is a special time at UM, so we’re leveraging our unique environment to welcome students back during what can be a cold and gray time,” said Leslie Webb, vice provost for student success. “Our campus culture, recreation and community directly impacts the total UM experience. A big part of that vibrancy means getting out and engaging with what this place offers, it’s part of creating a well-rounded student experience.”
The lineup of Welcome Back Winter Events includes:
- From 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 17, on the UM Oval, the Griz Hockey team will host a community skating event on the University’s ice-skating rink. Griz Hockey players and UM cheerleaders will help attendees learn to skate. Hot chocolate will be available, and the UM fire pits will be lit. A limited supply of ice skates is available to rent in the University Center Gaming Den. The event is free and open to the public.
- From 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 18, new and returning students are invited to participate in a Griz Winter Welcome on the Oval. The event includes games, ice skating, fire pits and s’mores. Additionally, the grand opening of a new campus dining area in the UC called Monte’s Den will run from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. The new on-campus restaurant will offer Detroit-style pizza, saucy wings, salads and more.
- Join the UM Alumni Association from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 19, at Draughtworks in Missoula for a Griz on Tap event. The event is jointly hosted with the UM Forestry Club, which is organizing the annual Forrester’s Ball. Tickets to the ball will be raffled. Bring memories, photos and stories of previous Forrester’s Balls to receive a free raffle ticket.
- From 5 to 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 20, the UM Bookstore will host a Welcome Back UM Shop Night with store discounts and raffle prizes. New this year, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. a bonfire Griz pep-rally will be held on UM’s River Bowl fields with fireworks. From 8 to 8:30 p.m. the Griz Hockey team will take on Providence at the Glacier Ice Rink.
- The Lady Griz and Griz basketball teams will play Montana State University on Saturday, Jan. 21, with games at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively. Tickets are on sale now at GoGriz.com.
Contact: Dave Kuntz, UM strategic communications director, 406-243-5669, dave.kuntz@umontana.