Organizational Chart Technical Guide
The Organizational Chart Plugin allow users to easily provide a visual presentation of their department's or organization's structure. Gone are the days when your only choice was to link to a hard-to-maintain and horribly inaccessible PDF document. The Org Chart is accessible, easy to maintain, visually consistent, and mobile friendly.
- Each item (often called "nodes") within your Org Chart will correspond to a Cascade Block. To create a new node, select New>Plugin>Org Chart.
- To establish your chart hierarchy, each node will point to a "Parent Block". By starting at the top level of your organization and working down, you'll be able to assign parent nodes as you go.
- The top-most node is referred to as the "Root Node" or "Root". This will be the block you later attach to your page. The advanced options will be controlled by the Root Node.
- We recommend simplified Org Charts; 5-7 nodes wide and less
then5 levels deep. However, this plugin supports unlimited width and up to 10 levels of depth.
- Items can be ordered from left to right by the order of the folder in cascade. Check out more information on ordering folders in Cascade.
- Job Title: This field is the job title or department name appears as the first line of each node.
- Name: While this is optional, we recommend supplying a person's name for each node.
- Parent Block: With the exception of the Root, each block will point to a Parent Block to establish organization hierarchy. The Parent Block is often the current block's boss or supervisor.
- Internal Link: This is for linking a person to another source within your website such as a staff bio or contact page.
- -or- External Link: This is for linking a person to an outside source or email address.
- Enable Fade Animation: By default, this is set to "Yes" which triggers a slight fade transition during the "Reveal on Click". To eliminate the transition effect, set this to "No".
- Fade Speed: Two options, "Fast" and "Slow, let you control the transition speed if the fade animation is enabled. Initially, this is set to "Slow".
- Reveal on Click: Make your Org Chart interactive by allowing a user to hide and show levels of your chart. Parent Nodes will display in a different color, indicating that they can be clicked to hide/reveal nodes below them in the organization structure. This is activated by default, but you can disable interactivity by selecting "No".
- Levels to Display: You can have up to 10 levels display. Initially this is set to "2", meaning that the Root (level 1) and the row that points directly to the Root (level 2) will be displayed.
Note that these changes must be applied to the Root Node's block in order to take effect.
The act of attaching a block to a page makes it a "Root Node".