Medical Requirements

 Medical Requirement Form & Immunizations

All international students must have certain immunizations to study at UM. Please take the Medical Requirement form to your doctor and ask them to complete your immunization history before you arrive to the U.S. When it is completed by your doctor, submit this form to the Curry Health Center.

During orientation, you will be taken to the student health clinic on campus to receive any missing immunizations.  

 Curry Health Center Health Portal

Curry Health Center must receive documentation of MMRs and screening for tuberculosis exposure.  You must complete the following medical requirements before you register for classes. 
  1. You can do this by filling out the Medical Requirement form and providing documentation of your MMRs.
  2. Once we receive your immunization records and TB Questionnaire we will review your information and notify you of your clearance to register via the Health Portal.
  1. Go to our Health Portal:
  2. Log in using your Net ID
  3. Click on the Forms Tab and complete the Tuberculosis Questionnaire form.
    1. If you answer yes to any of the questions you must be screened for TB at a United States medical facility.  This may be done at Curry Health Center.
    2. Acceptable tests are:  PPD skin test (if positive include reading in millimeters), QuantiFERON or T-Spot).  You can enter these results under the Immunization Tab and upload the scanned TB test via the Upload Tab.
    3. The State of Montana also requires you to submit proof of 2 MMR vaccines, or 2 doses rubeola and rubella or IgG titers for both rubeola and rubella.
      1. Please enter the dates you received these vaccines or titers under the Immunizations Tab.
      2. Upload a copy of your immunizations via the Upload Tab.
      3. Once we receive your uploaded immunization records and Tuberculosis Questionnaire we will review your information and notify you via the Health Portal of your clearance to register.

 Student Insurance

Staying healthy is essential to your academic success and adequate insurance ensures you get the care you need to maintain good health. Unexpected medical bills can also threaten your ability to complete your education if you are uninsured or have inadequate coverage.

University of Montana requires all students taking 7 or more credits to have and maintain major medical insurance.  Also, as a J or F visa holder your insurance needs to meet U.S Department of State insurance requirements.

All students that have a J or F visa type will automatically be charged for the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Montana Student Health Insurance Fee whether or not you refuse the student insurance. The 'BCBSMT Insurance Fee' AND the associated 'Health Service Fee' will be removed from your registration bill ONLY when written proof of another insurance coverage (in English) is presented to Dawn Camara-Clark in the Curry Health Center.

J-1 and F-1 Student Insurance Requirements: 

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness 
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

*If you will be using an insurance policy from your home country while studying in the U.S., please make sure that your insurance includes the above minimum benefits. Basic “Travel” insurance will not be accepted

*You will need to show proof insurance to the Student Insurance Office before the 15th instructional day of each semester.

Proof of Coverage Document Requirements:   

  • Must be in English
  • Must contain the carriers information
  • Must have the students name
  • Must show coverage dates for the entire semester

Fall beginning August 1st and ending December 31st

Spring beginning January 1st and ending July 31st.

Please contact Dawn Camara-Clark in the Curry Health Center for current price information and all other student-related insurance issues at: