Equal Opportunity and Title IX

  • You can report to make a record. If your goal is to make a record, UM will use this information to track incidents and assess patterns so we can consider the information in plans for awareness raising, prevention and response.
  • You can report to seek campus and community resources and identify informal options calculated to stop and address the concerning behavior. Assistance can take many forms including through safety planning, training and education, help in stopping contact, and other restorative processes. Interim measures can include academic accommodations, support changing a campus housing, working, or transportation situation, referral to counseling or medical care, assistance with a campus no contact or court ordered no contact, assistance finding legal or immigration information.
  • You can report to begin a formal policy investigation by trained EO/Title IX investigators to determine whether it is more likely or not the Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Stalking, and Retaliation policy was violated. This investigation culminates in a report. If there is a finding of a policy violation, it may lead to student conduct or personnel consequences for the person responding to the reported behavior.
  • You can report in order to get help to go to the police.

Your voice is important in deciding how the EO/Title IX will respond to the concerns raised after you report. If you are a student, confidential resources such as SARC or the Curry Counseling Center can help you make your decision and they can be with you if you choose to begin an investigation or other process. If you are an employee, you may choose support through the YWCA or contact a counselor through employee benefits. In the meantime, take care of yourself and preserve evidence such as emails, texts, photos, or other physical evidence.